Playing the Fiddle After a Wrist Fracture

Playing the Fiddle After a Wrist Fracture

If you are a fiddler and have broken your wrist in the past, what kinds of problems or adaptations did you have to make after you healed and fiddled again? (I’m in the fifth week of the cast and need two more weeks in a splint before I’m allowed to try to fiddle again.)

Re: Playing the Fiddle After a Wrist Fracture

Which wrist have you broken? The left probably wouldn’t be too much of a problem - you see fiddlers using all sorts of odd (to classical eyes) wrist shapes, so I’m sure you’ll find a way of doing it. If it’s the right, then any loss of mobility could be a problem, at least at the beginning, until you learn to adapt (where there’s a will there’s a way).

My wife currently has a guitar pupil who fell off a horse and broke her left wrist. She can’t hold the guitar neck at all, so she has the guitar tuned to open D, uses a bit of copper pipe held between thumb and index finger as a bottle neck, and is concentrating on finger picking patterns.

My wife broke her left wrist really badly and had one of those external post things for three months, during which her hand was immobile (of course). Once that was removed her fingers could hardly move at first but she managed to play again by actually just trying to play - she was able to judge her progress by being able to play the notes again. Following the removal of the metal post (and after a lot of very hard work on the instrument) she was pretty much able to play everything as before - she got to that point about 5 months or so after her accident.

Take it slowly, and don’t get frustrated. You can hurt yourself by rushing back into the fray too quickly. Better to take a few extra weeks off than develop a problem that nags you for years. And keep your chin up, there are lots of us around who have battled back from an injury.
You can do it!

Yes, it was my left wrist. Thank you, all for your encouragement and input. My short cast comes off this Tuesday. The saddest part about all of this is having to give the gigs to someone else, because I can’t play right now.

I injured my left wrist as well. Take it slowly when trying to play, if your wrist starts to hurt stop for a few hours and try again. It will come back. I injured my wrist last November, and the only major problem I’ve had with playing is if im playing for more than an hour or so it becomes quite painful

I’m "mo-betta" and back to playing! Hooray! Thanks, everyone, for your input.

Do you know which bone in your wrist was broken? Was it the Ulna or Radius? Or was it one or more of the carpals (ie the bones in the wrist joint itself)? The ulna is the smaller of the two forearm bones, the radius the other, bigger one. The ulna leads to your little finger whereas the radius leads to the thumb. It is potentially less problematic to damage the ulna than the radius, as the radius is like a platform for all the carpal bones to sit on, so that can take longer to fix.
I cracked my ulna recently (as well as seriously bruising other bits of my body) in a motorbike accident. The good news is that I can play (flute and box) almost at speed now for most of a whole session, so don’t get too despondent, try and be patient, it’ll be done before you know it.

Oh , just read previous comments - so you are fixed now. See, I told you so :-)