I have an 8-key Olwell flute to sell

I have an 8-key Olwell flute to sell

It is in seemingly perfect condition. I don’t play but received it in a divorce settlement. Don’t feel bad for my ex, he bought it from someone who needed the money 11 or 12 years ago and never ever played it. If you are interested please respond to this message board with info on how to reach you. I can supply photos via email. I see from reading the discussion boards here that these flutes are beloved in the community. I hope it will end up in the hands of someone who can play and truly appreciate it.

Re: I have an 8-key Olwell flute to sell

I have to correct my description of the Olwell flute. It is a leyless flute, not an 8 key flute. My apologies and thanks to the folks who pointed this out.

There have been a number of responses to this posting. I have decided to list it on ebay. The price may seem high but Olwell bamboo flutes were sold for $900. I am open to offers as well. Thanks

Re: I have … [a keyless] Olwell flute to sell

Is this the flute that is on eBay now, offered at an opening bid of $2,900? It is certainly blackwood, not rosewood.
I haven’t ever seen an Olwell bamboo flute to sell for $500, let alone $900… Somebody’s dreaming and/or delusional.
The wait for a keyless flute is about a year. Not five years, as stated…

I agree with David, that’s wishful thinking IMO, unless someone with more money than brains is hell bent for an Olwell NOW. Besides, i’d be weary of a wooden flute that hasn’t been played for a decade. I’d be very careful "re-breaking it in"

Well, she says she’s open to offers.. you wouldn’t have an eye on it yourself now David, would you? I suppose the market will decide what it’s worth ;) I don’t think too many come up for sale??

Sure, I’d love to buy any Olwell. But $2,900 for an older keyless doesn’t make much sense. Unless you are the seller and somebody pays that much for it. Then it makes total sense!

This whole thing is weird - why would you need expert help
to tell you that a flute doesn’t have any keys on it? I mean -
even if you’ve never seen a flute before …

Well a non-musician might not know what "keys" means in a musical context.

No flute has "keys" like car keys or house keys on it, and that’s the only sort of keys most people know about.

She might have thought that "keys" referred to the metal bands.

We take our musical jargon for granted, but it’s mysterious to non-musicians. Clarinets have barrels, and bells? Highland pipes have fountains, bushes, stocks, and soles? It’s all strange to people who don’t play.

We’ll see how this auction goes! You never know on Ebay. People will buy anything.

How did she get the number 8 then? OK, I’m done now.

Curiouser and curiouser…..

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available".

Posted by .

Maybe a happy rapprochement with the ex? :) Or a variation on generals in collapsing African states..

Or the indicated dog finally digged it in the backyard?

The flute was listed elsewhere, I think, and probably sold.