The Hill of Bruff

The Hill of Bruff

Can anyone help with sheet music for this Jig recently recorded by Edel Fox and Neill Byrne?

Thanks Cushla

Re: The Hill of Bruff

There’s a ‘Billy from Bruff’ that is in 6/8, has 4 parts and is in Joyce?

Probably not that one. The Edle Fox and Neill Byrne one is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOPb4TVf-QE

I’d suggest that it might be a modern composition, with a name like that. It’ll be named after the hill near Limerick, I’d guess. Anything to do with the siege, d’ya think? Could be …

I mean, I’m just guessing - I don’t the tune or its origin.

Edel Fox. Sorry Edel - it was just a mistype. Honest. :-O

Not much of a hill but you could still break your leg trying to run over it. Gob crappers don’t like it much becuz the Orish there, like Goblins, are a little mischievous.

See Roche on the notation.

Nice try on the tune Edel, but as I recall the locals have a better version.

Is ‘Weejie’ some kind of Australian poet? lagerphone operator?

Whatever Lorna Davey though she wrote HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH Bruff.
As I said the tune - dated though it be - is in John Roche’s book.

This is a good time to clear the floor of the fakes that pose on this website claiming authority on the topic, Irish Traditional Music. And those who from such mis-information make ridiculous claims of creating tunes already LONG established in the tradition.

No wonder then that these Session experts have no real identity, no history, no location, just as fake as the crap they pander as Irish Traditional Music. No heart, no soul, no nothing, just bodhrans and BS.

G_d save us Irish from such crap!

Ooh! Get you!

And why is the word ‘God’ censored?!!

Weejie" can speak for himself, but he’s merely trying to help by pointing out what someone else, presumably quoting from the CD sleeve notes, posted in the "Comments" on the recording. If, as you claim, Lorna Davey didn’t write this tune, then the mistake is with whoever made those sleeve notes, so I suggest you take it up with them, instead of making unwarranted attacks on someone who is consistently very prolific at helping people with queries on this site.
and "Weejie" - [ as far as I know ] - has no connections with Australia, so you got that wrong too. To use an Australian phrase, "Pull yer neck in, mate".

Posted by .

"Gob crappers don’t like it much becuz the Orish there, like Goblins, are a little mischievous".
OY! Oy objict!

Out of interest, what is "John Roche’s book"?

"Nice try on the tune Edel, but as I recall the locals have a better version."

What? Limerick locals, as opposed to Clare locals? A bit picky, that, isn’t it? Considering that Bruff is something like 17 miles from Clare?

"This is a good time to clear the floor of the fakes that pose on this website claiming authority on the topic, Irish Traditional Music"

Perhaps you can tell everyone what title the tune goes under in "John Roche’s book"?

I’ve checked out Francis Roche’s collection, and the only tunes mentioning Bruff are two 3/4 settings of "The Melodious Airy Little Fort of Bruff". Perhaps "John" authored a book too.

"G_d save us Irish from such crap!"

Why the Jewish Orthodox spelling of God? Is it the way Irish "ex-pats" spell it in Texas?

" The Hill of Bruff which is a composition by Meath accordion player Lorna Davey is sublime."

http://tradconnect.com/profiles/blogs/album-review-edel-fox-neill-byrne-the-sunny-banks

It’s the water in Texas.

Don’t blame Texas! I can’t speak for the entire state, but he’s already been kicked out of every session in town.

I’m not surprised. Maybe we should take back the Texas bit then :-)

Yes, well, the album has been on my list for some time and this thread finally tipped me into downloading it :-). Nice review from David Levine in the comments here.

Yes indeed, let’s get back to discussing tunes not loons. It does seem worth having.

Hi everybody - somebody alerted me to this thread and suggested I respond. The "Hill of Bruff" is a jig composed by Lorna Davey, an accordion player from Co. Meath but who lives in Bruff, Co. Limerick with her husband Brian Fitzgerald, a banjo player. It was composed within the past couple of years. We learnt the tune from a compilation of recordings which was released last year called "The Teach Cheoil Concerts" featuring music which has been performed at the Corofin Traditional Festival. I rang her and asked her permission and she informed me that, apart from her own performance of the tune with her husband Brian on the Corofin CD, it had not been recorded by any other musician to date. It is a stunning tune. and we love it.

Sorefingers - why don’t you show us your version? I’d love to see/hear it!

Thanks for dropping in and setting the record straight Edel.

Mustard Power y’all!

Yeah, nice one!

Yup! Beautifully concluded Edel, drawing me out of lurk mode and calming the grimace brought on by that uncomfortable and nasty tirade of sir sorefingers… :-P

Now, is anyone going to add a transcription? :-/

[Now, is anyone going to add a transcription?]

Well, the audio is nice and clean so it should be fairly easy.

Jim, I think you just volunteered. :)

That all got sorted pretty quickly, once Edel chimed in!

Here’s a bare bones version- I’ve transposed down a half step. The fiddle is tuned up a half step in the video and they’re in Eb Mix (or Eb Major with lots of flat 7ths, if you prefer to think of it that way)
X:1
T:The Hill of Bruff
R:jig
C:Lorna Davey
M:6/8
L:1/8
K:D Mix
|:fag efd|cAG EFG|FDD cAA|dAG EFD|fag efd|cAG EFG|FDD cAA|[1 Ad^c dde:|[2 ad^cd2e||
|:fdd add| bag afd|FAd faf|ged ^cde|fdd add| bag afd|FDA cAG| Ad^c d2e:|

5stringfool, would you mind posting that setting to the tunes section?

http://thesession.org/tunes/add

Thanks.

(Really nice tune, by the way—and I *really* like the playing in that video.)

Thank you 5stringfool - this really is a wonderful place (most of the time!)

I haven’t had a proper look, but I think the 2nd ending of the first part should have Ad^c rather than ad^c
Thanks for posting it anyway, 5string. It is, indeed, a cracking tune.

Posted by .

Gam is correct about that correction. Also, the last note of the 7th bar should be G, not A.

After another listen, the second half second time through repeats the ending of the first part, if that makes sense.

Posted by .

Nicely done! I look forward to it being added to the tunes database, with credit to the composer of course. I’d forgotten to add ~ thanks for the Youtube link Ben, which I intend to enjoy again right now. :-)

Well that was an entertaining and informative read thanks for all the comments and in particular to Edel who sorted the wood from the chaff , I look forward to adding it to my tunes x

Ha ha - enjoy Cushla! Yes, indeed. This Sorefingers person has most definitely a tendency to get downright offensive and rude from what I can see. I wouldn’t like Lorna Davey, who is a fabulous person and great musician and composer, to have been reading his comments to be honest.
Anyway - thanks to 5stringfool and Gary Martin for submitting the notation - hope you all enjoy learning and playing this great tune!

Both Gary and gam are correct- the one was a misprint the other a mistake-mea culpa (Latin for "my bad")

Nonsense and corrected version of the tune

Padraic and Damian O’Reilly and Jack Talty, who I believe were responsible for the sleeve notes of the Corofin CD, know their stuff. You could hardly find better people to trust on that matter. And Lorna and Brian wouldn’t be the kind of people to claim a tune that isn’t theirs either. So, although I didn’t doubt it from the beginning, I am still glad you confirmed again that Lorna is the composer, Edel. False rumours can spread very easily.

For those who want to play the tune: I posted a version of the tune - as I think Lorna plays it herself - on the tune’s page.