help - i cant sus the chords for this tune !

help - i cant sus the chords for this tune !

hello does anyone know the chords or how to work out the chords for this tune it is called ’ snowdens jig’ or sometimes ’ genuine negro jig ’ i cant even find the key, when the fiddle plays it sounds like Dm to start with but then sounds like Am and it claims its Gm but i just cant get it, can anybody help atall please ! :) thanks very much https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nliiRDmBbEQ

i’ll give the music if poosible, keep an eye out for that

Re: help - i cant sus the chords for this tune !

Sounds like an A aeolian tune, with occasional G#s instead of Gnat. Should present no particular chordal challenge, but why one would want to go beyond droning on the root and fifth in this, and many another similar tune, is beyond me.

Part of the problem is that they, or rather, she, plays it in A in the first (YouTube) link, and in G in the video in the second link. Take your pick - I like it better in A. BTW, no snarkiness intended in my last post, just an expression of my strong preference for stark, if any, accompaniment.

thanks very much man, i know its in like A harmonic minor, but is also just plays Aminor sometimes and changes to other things, i think its like a mode of A harmonic minor aswell, so confusing, i’m sure i’ll sus something, there all loads of option i would use to create different feels for it, such a cool tune x

I hear something like this:
Dm|A7| Dm|A7|Dm|A7|Dm|A7
Am(2beats) D7 Gm|Am D7Gm| Am E7Am| Am E7Am| etc

Sounds more like an old fashioned tango than anything else.

@Nicholas

I’ve transcribed the bare tune and posted it here:
http://thesession.org/tunes/13688

I’ve also posted an ABC transcription of the tune with my own chord setting.

I would play something similar to 5stringfool along these lines:
Am|Dm|Am|Dm|Am|Dm|Am|Dm|
Am D/F# G |Am D/F# G |Am E7 Am |Am E7 Am | x 2

The C# in the melody seems to ask for an A7, no?

Well you could play the bar as Dm-A7-Dm-Dm but I would probably just stick to the Dm.
And I wouldn’t bother trying to fit a chord to the F natural notes. I would just treat them as augmented fifths and play Am underneath.
So, yes, I’m playing Am where you play Dm and Dm where you play A7. Ultimately you have to go with what sounds right to you, rather than what looks right.

DonaldK-I didn’t look at the sheet music. Still haven’t. I just heard a tonic-dominant thing going on,partly I think because it reminded me as I said of a tango like La Comparsita. Your way sounds fine,too. Wht happens is that the notes that are tension notes one way, becomt chord tones the other way and vice-versa. Interesting.

Sorry, 5stringfool, it was a bit presumptuous of me. In this case it wouldn’t be a good idea to check out the sheet music as it bears little in common with what you hear in the video clip.

thanks so much guys, very kind of you’s all im gony try it just now ! thanks so much xx

I hear A minor and C chords.