Good whistle brand?

Good whistle brand?

Right now, I’m teaching myself the whistle with a Generation D, but it’s not very good in quality, unfortunately so the higher the notes go, the uglier the sound becomes e_e; So what whistle do YOU think is most efficient gives a good sound?

Re: Good whistle brand?

Dixon polymers. No question about it - there’s no going back to aluminium for me!

http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk/

Posted by .

I have been playing a Feadog brass D for a year now, and love it. Not half as expensive as Dixons, which is nice for people who have no money, like me. It’s a great little instrument, and I’m not planning on upgrading anytime soon. I have two Generations, and my brother has one, but I don’t like any of them.

-Max

Haha, sorry Max but you know I gotta make my usual sound off. I own about 5 generation D’s and only one of them is off so bad you can’t play it. Just go buy about 20 generations and then you’re bound to get a good one. If you ever get a good generation, hang on to it, because you’ll probably never get another one again.

Johnathan

Clarke Sweetones are my favourite. They are cheap, reliable, and have a fairly pure sound, although they may be too pure for some folks’ taste. On the negative side, They are prone to rust unless washed and dried after use, but they still last for years even if not washed out. Also, the ones I’ve played all have a weak C natural when cross-fingered, which contrasts with the brightness of the other notes. But, all things considered, they are great whistles.

The Clarke’s traditional whistle, (black conical bore with a wooden fipple) produces even sweeter notes, and is also fairly quiet, so it’s good for playing solo at home. Its main ‘defects’ are that the wood fipple can get pretty soggy, and the windway tends to clog easily and needs blowing out fairly often. I tape over the wooden end with sticky tape to keep the wood dry, and to make it less irritating to the lower lip.

I have also had some success with attacking fuzzy sounding Generation D (and other) whistles with thin metal implements to clear out or cut off bits of residual plastic moulding from the end of the windway. Replaceable electric planer blades are the current weapon of choice, as they fit neatly into the windway. A recent (last few months) thread on this site had some tips on this sort of tweaking. I think something more gentle like very fine sandpaper was recommended for tidying up windways.

Rule number one: don’t tinker with your whistle unless you really don’t like the sound of it, and are emotionally prepared for the worst! But if you never play it anyway because it sounds terrible, then you don’t have much to lose.

Good luck.
G

How much do you want to spend?

I have several tony dixon whistles and they vary greatly in sound quality but they are a great whistle at that price range.

The Sindt is a cracking whstle altogether but a bit pricey and a long wait. email AgEsmay@aol.com

Mate of mine has a Copeland - and it is by far and away the nicest whistle I have ever played but again quite pricey. I am about to give up the cigs in order to get one of these. http://www.copelandwoodwinds.com/

Also worth considering the Burke whistle which has many adherents. Mike Copleand speaks very highly of the Burke. http://www.burkewhistles.com/

Have you asked any experienced whistle players to try out your whistle? Beginners often have problems with the high notes on any whistle.
I have been playing Generation whistles for many years (circa 38!) and don’t seem to have encountered the tuning problems others complain of. I only buy if I can try out before buying. Mary Bergin played and recorded with Generations for years. I believe she now also plays a Sindt.
Dixon -I have only tried one Dixon and was unimpressed with the tuning.
Sindt - again only tried one and thought it excellent for tone and tuning.
Chris Abell - tried one - very sweet tone and well in tune. Beautifull to play and behold but very pricey for a beginner.
Feadog - I don’t recommend these as I find the tone on these to be rather "choked".
Clarkes Sweet Tone - I bought 6 of these in D recently for a class I’m teaching as I couldn’t get Generations in time. They were all out of tune. Even my 10 year old daughter said they were rubbish! I have a couple of Sweet Tones in C which are OK though.
My advice would be to bring a whistle-playing friend to the shop and ask him/her to select a Generation for you. You are likely to get a reasonable one if there are 5 or 6 to choose from.
Also check out the Chiff & Fipple website http://www.chiffandfipple.com/

Good Luck

No one’s mentioned them yet, but I love my Oak D — I think Oak’s a lot like a gen, but I’ve yet to play a bad Oak. Also, in the US, they’re only $10.

Eric

As a beginner, I found the Tweeked Clarke Original available from www.thewhistleshop.com to be quiet and easy to play. It does not screech on the high notes. As alluded to earlier in this thread, its not the most comfortable whistle on the mouth. About $25.

Generation make great wee whistles, but if you want to fork out, i would definitely recommend overton (not the cr@ppy imitations but the real mc coys) made by colin goldie in germany. You can find more about colin’s whistles at http://www.overton.de and say I recommened you try his whistles if you are interested. The guy is an abosolute gentleman and will really accomodate you in getting the right instrument to suit your style of playing. Unfortunately overton whistles (by complete false advertising) got a bit of a bad rep, due to in some cases very unplayabe (out of tune) whistles THAT WERE "NOT" OVERTONS but were being sold as overtons, so of course this was of no fault of bernard overton, nor colin goldie as they make the rolls royce of whistles. To my knowledge bernard is not making overton whistles anymore and the sole licence to make overton whistles lies with colin goldie. Hope this is of help. Good luck, Murrough

I’ll second the Oak suggestion…they’re my favorite of the cheap whistles. However, if you’re sure you’re going to stick with whistle playing for a while I’d just buy a Burke.

-Brett

John Sindt gets my vote.

Posted by .

It all depends what sort of sound you want. I really like the really cheap new Clarke’s ‘Meg’ whistle, though it might not be loud enough for some sessions. All these posh sweety sweety sounding whistles miss the point a bit (in my personal opinion). Listen to those early finbar furey tracks like Eamonn An Chnuic - the whistle sounds quite harsh and blowy in the second octave. That’s the real sound of the Penny whistle, surely. All the posh whistles are trying to sound like treble recorders - and I’m sure we don’t want that :-)

A freind of mine let me play her Oak once, and I was really impressed with it. Beautiful tone, excelent tuning, and I found that the G# cross fingering (XXOXXO) was easier than on any of my other whistles. I don’t have one, though.

I just remembered, there are these two pages on Chiff & Fipple that might help you out. One has cheaper whistles, the other has higer-end whistles.

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/inexp.html

http://www.chiffandfipple.com/Expens.html

-Max

I agree with Eric…I’ve tried a bunch of whistles, including some of the ones in the medium price range…and I STILL love my Oak. It has a nice clear sound, a little hard to control in the low register for beginners (it’s very easy to overblow) but it sounds wonderful in both registers and is very in tune.

And how can one go wrong with a whistle used in a Star Trek: TNG episode? ;-)

I love my Oak whistle.

There are some lovely Generations (I prefer the brass ones to the nickel), but it’s luck of the draw - and there are not that many shops that will let you try them out nowadays. The Oak is a similar type of whistle, but with a cleaner tone and more reliable intonation - and about 5 times the price (still very cheap for a musical instrument).

I have a Dixon polymer whistle, which has a good tone an intonation, but doesn’t cut through in a session. Also, it has a non-standard C-natural fingering - OXOXXO

A Susato makes a great emergency whistle for mountaineering.

I play a clarke meg,it’s the only whistle that I have played.I’m thinking about upgrading,but does anyone here think that the Meg is good,bad or indifferent

see above..

Dixon all the way don’t even think about buying a different one because if you do you will try out many whistles then play a Dixon and never ever have a need to play those again. Just my 2 cents but if you don’t want to spend a lot go with a Clarke Sweetone my second favorite whistle I like the tone but Dixons are supiroior.

Generation

And I have both the good ones they made.
( C and a D )

I can’t stand that weedy recorder-like "sweet" tone you get from the other brands. Its akin to the ( cheap plastic ) Recorder in its insipid pathethic weak tone.

After that a Clarke original ( with the wood ) is yer only man.

Pat

Joy, different.. whistles… gah……….

Feadog, Dixon, Clarke

Ok. Now what?! >_<

Could someone possibly post pros and cons with these three?

Well, yeah, we could post our pros and cons, but it’s different with everyone. What I love, you might hate.

-Max

I no more play the Feadog, Clarke, Generation etc. whistles. I only play Susato and I think its without a doubt the best tin whistle. Its good for sessions cuz its much stronger, to me it has a nicer feeling when playing f.e. I have better controle over the susato than over the others. The only con is that its more difficult, but the earlier you get used to it the better.

http://www.susato.com

Cheers
Brian

I spent about 90 minutes agonizing over whether to lay out the cash for my Copeland. Fortunately, irrationality won out, and I have never played a better whistle in the intervening 18 years. It is based on the Clarke design, can be tuned and sounds heavenly even on a high ‘b’.

Posted by .

For me a well played and old generation whistle u can’t beat

Hmm, well I recently just did a simple going up scale on my D Generation and actually, it didn’t sound that bad, so I’ll wait, yes….

Since we’re talking about getting new whistles, I’ve a question. I’ve heard of intonation problems on the high Dixons, the second octave being way off, to the extent that it could preclude playing along with other instruments. That so? What about the lower ones?