Box players in America! a question or two………

Box players in America! a question or two………

Any of you chaps know anything about a chap in Maryland who does box repair?

His website:

http://accordiondoc.home.mindspring.com/

any and all comments welcome. :-)

-Padraig

Re: Box players in America! a question or two………

I know nothing about this gentleman. I can say that I have bought an accordion and two concertinas from The Button Box in Sunderland, Massachusetts. http://www.buttonbox.com/index.html. They sell, restore and repair accordions and concertinas. They are polite, skilled and dedicated. Their turnaround time for repairing a worn valve on my hard played Saltarelle was 2 days. They are approachable and diligent. This is the second time in 24 hours that I’ve recommended them to someone.

Posted by .

I don’t know the guy in Maryland, but I can second the endorsement of the Button Box. Great outfit for boxes and repairs, and also for CDs for folks like Mairtin O’Connor and La Bottine Souriante, and others you can’t find on the shelves. There is also a good repairman in New York City, named Alex, his store is called Alex Music, and he is on 47th or 48th St near Times Square. He tuned and repaired a box for me in the days before I started dealing with the Button Box, and does good work.
AL Brown

I know of Ike but i haven’t had any work done by him. What are you looking to have done? I’ve had great success with John Nolan in New York. Tuned up a few of my boxes over the last 2-3 years. Brian

I’m looking at buying an old Hohner F/C box and having it redone to either B/C or C#/D. The reason I’m looking through the repair folks is to see if I can actually afford having it done.. lol… the poor student says… ;)

-Padraig

I believe that retuning that box to that extent means replacing and voicing all the reeds, among other tasks. The cost estimates will be educational. If it has an unusual and high quality case it might be worthwhile, but finding a used one in the key you want might be a safer bet. You’ve probably been looking for those. One will crop up. Keep the cash ready.

Posted by .

I haven’t seen anything under 600 or so US.

And that is really puching the envelope for my wee wallet…. and I don’t want to give the moths in there a heart attack.. ;)

Padraig

Hang in there. Get the estimates from the places and persons recommended here. Check the pawn shops routinely. Stay vigilant. Things happen.

Posted by .

This is the only button box I’ve seen locally.

As I think I can get it for about 100 or less US, I believe that the cost of replacing the reeds etc would still be less in the long run than merely buying an ‘original’ box in those tunings

padraig

Try to get the estimates before you buy it. Good luck, padraig. It would be interesting to know the outcome.

Posted by .

That’s what I’m doing. ;-)

I tried the bloke in Maryland, he said about 270 dollars, IIRC.

Just emailed the chaps at buttonbox.com today…

Know of anyone else I should try?

-Padraig