Bring them in!

Bring them in!

Recordings, that is… ;-)

I’m looking to find as many recordings from Kerry/Cork (Sliabh Luachra) as I can…. So if you all coudl give me some artists besides Jackie Daly, I’d be much obliged.

Takk.

-Pádraig

Re: Bring them in!

Hey Padraig.

Johnny O’Leary–The Trooper. Gael-Linn 1989. CEFCD 132.
Johnny O’Leary–Johnny O’Leary of Sliabh Luachra. Craft Recordings. CRCD 01.

These two are in The Session recording database along with one other that I don’t have.

There’s a tunebook with the same title as the second selection above. Lilliput is the publisher, T. Moylan is the editor. The tunes in the book are numbered and the tunes in the cd have corresponding numbers, although there are many more tunes in the book than on the cd—348 in the book, 28 on the cd. The book is interesting reading, filled as it is with comments on history, people, and the tunes by the editor and O’Leary.

Check out the group the Sliabh Notes. Their CDs are also listed in the recordings database, a fun and quick paced bunch.

There’s a start for you.

Posted by .

Just run a search on "sliabh luachra" in the recordings database here. There’s about 10 or so that pop up that have "Sliabh Luachra" in the title (including the 2 mentioned above). I personally don’t know much about the recordings, but there seem to be some fairly thorough comments posted for some of them that might help.

Try ‘Kerry Fiddles’ featuring the playing of Denis Murphy & Julia Clifford as well as their mentor Padraig O Keefe.
‘The Star above the Garter’ also featuring Denis Murphy & Julia Clifford
also ‘Billy Clifford:Traditional flute solos & band music’

Great stuff,i love all them slides and polkas.yeow!!

By the way Denis Murphy & Julia Clifford were brother and sister and i think(???) Julia Clifford pops up on the ‘Paddy in the smoke’ album as well.I know she lived over here in London for many years anyhow.

Also Cork band North Cregg play lots of Sliabh Luchra influenced music with great gusto altogether.Check out their albums ‘Summer at my feet’ or ‘Mi Da Za’

Try "Sliabh Notes" and Denis O’Connor and Con Moynihan’s "Sunday After Mass"

Posted by .

I don’t have many recordings of Sliabh Luachra music, but Gerry Harrington, Eoghan O Sullivan, and Paul De Grae’s "The Smoky Chimney" is very nice: http://www.claddaghrecords.com/www/product.asp?pID=75&cID=17&c=2390

How about the band "Biginish"? They mix southern and northern traditions. I also got a copy of box player John Brosnan’s "The Cook in the Kitchen" and really love it.

Not to nitpick on other people’s posts, but I think the band slainte is referring to is "Beginish" (notice the "e"). Only pointing that out for people not familiar with the band who might run a search for their albums on this site. Ok slainte, I’ll get off your toes now.

Also check out Billy Clifford the flute player, John Clifford the box player. Julia Clifford recorded a duet album with Billy, all 3 of them also recorded under Star of Munster Trio. Matt Cranitch and Paddy Cronin, for more fiddlers.

mea culpa

look around for ‘the monks of the screw’

oh - and The Abbey Ceili Band

Seamus Creagh and Aidan Coffey - Ossian cd OSSCD112

Posted by .

Kitty lie over with Mick O’brien and Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh-Great stuff

Posted by .

If you head over to the Southern California’s pipers club site (http://www.socalpipers.com/tionol_2004.html) you can see a video shot of Mick and Caoimhin play Denis Murphy’s slide and the Lisheen slide. Wonderful nite that was

Posted by .

The Rushy Mountains is a great collection of Sliabh Luachra tunes. All the famous players mentioned in earlier posts are included (Padraig O’Keefe, Denis Murphy, Jackie Daly, Julia Clifford, Johnny O’Leary, etc….). Good liner notes, too.

Seamus Creagh!