octave mandola adjustable bridge wanted

Re: octave mandola adjustable bridge wanted

AKA mandocello?

Is the neck pulling up? Does it need a reset? Do you need to get the strings lower?

There are adjustable bridges (not necessarily easily) available for most of the mando family, but if you’re trying to significantly lower the strings, an adjustable bridge might not go low enough.

My guess is that Brian means an octave mandolin (GDAE tuning). We get our mandolin family nomenclature confused in Britain.

Brian - What type of bridge does it have? If there is a bone saddle insert, you could remove it and sand as much as necessary off the bottom. If it has a fixed saddle, or it is an all-wooden bridge, you can deepen the string slots with a needle file and then sand down the top of the bridge.

Is it an old instrument? If the neck is badly bowed, you might have to accept that it is past its best.

I’m encountering the same problem with my Trinity College El Cheapo (relatively) octave mandolin. It seems as the weather changes so does the action. So adjustable would seem to be the way to go.

A lot of guitar players keep seasonal saddles handy. Usually one for winter and one for summer.

Don’t do it !
Have a new bridge made to the correct height from a single piece of maple - see the very useful link from the discussion I started a few pages back on better bouzouki bridges - a Red Henry-pattern bridge will improve tone and volume, but an adjustable bridge is a very inefficient conductor of the string vibrations and will only make the instrument less satisfying. Not sure how this will work with your transducer though.
Adjustable bridges do have their place - on a solid electric instrument !

He’s right, you know. A solid bridge is better.

Brian - I misunderstood the problem entirely. You’ll have to express yourself less cryptically.

Perhaps you could show me the instrument sometime. Are you still going to the Prince Albert?

MG, Briolin not only goes to the Prince Albert, he’s had one done. Allegedly.

Alas, I have not the multi-tasking abilities of the Mighty Curran. Neither have I such an expensive guitar as Martin. And I posses not the lofty stature of Olly. By another username was I formerly known - that by which I in mete space be yclept. About a stringy blonde findst thou me enwrapt.

This is a late posting, sorry, but here it is, anyway. Weber offers an adjustable bridge using a system of microwedges beneath the actual saddle which gives a little heighth adjustment, about 1/32 of an inch. I have one on my mandola, and since it was cut specifically for mandola string gauges it solved some intonation issues with the instrument-the lesson here is mandolin bridges don’t work on mandolas. My Weber bridge, bought last year, cost me $30 U.S. , which I thought was very reasonable. I became aware of this adjustable bridge through Old Boise Guitar Company, in Idaho, who then ordered the adjustable bridge for me and set me up just great. Give it a try!

BTW, the bridge is called the "Brekke Bridge" and is available from Weber, the website is www.soundtoearth.com-You can examine it on their website. Good luck!