East Durham 2005

East Durham 2005

Hi folks.

A little advice needed here; I’m planning on going to the Catskills for the Irish Arts Week (10-16 July). I plan to fly from Shannon, at the end of Willie Clancy Week, to New York and make my own way there by public transport.

Question is, how would I get by train to as close to East Durham as possible? Does anyone know which is the closest station?

And is there anyone else planning on going?

Cheers for your help!

Conán

Re: East Durham 2005

Hmmm. July. Catskills. Maybe we could meet up in NYC and go up together, Conán? I’ve been told in no uncertain terms that I have to go this year.

So, if I go to the Catskills, do I have to register for classes, or can you go and just hang-out? Where do you find out about accomidations? I looked all over their web site with no luck.

You can register for classes, you can also go and just hang out, lots of people only take classes in the afternoon because they know they’ll be up all the night, and some people don’t bother taking classes at all.

You planning on staying at Furlongs, Conán? Oh god, I guess I’d better figure all of this stuff out now, then…

Yeah, Zina I’m writing off to Yvonne Furlong tonight to book my room! She gave me the address and number when I was there in November. She and her husband are pure class.

Well d’ye wanna meet in NY then? That would be brilliant.

I’m really planning on just hanging out, enjoying the music, the scenery, the people and all that. There’s no piano box class and I’ve been playing the goat for about 24 years now so too many bad habits to eradicate in a week.
Well I’d better get a shift on.

Cheers!!

C

I’ve written off to a couple of friends to see what their plans are, too — let’s see, I’ll have to check and see if Pete can get the time off to come as well, but even if he can’t, I’ll probably go. I may go into Boston first to see friends there and then I could take the bus over to NY to meet you, Conán. Hmmmm….

That would be great, Zina. About time we had some tunes together and an oul’ natter.

:¬)

don’t forget a drink. And another drink. Maybe just one more drink.

Jack: You can request that a pamphlet be mailed to you. It will have suggestions for accomodations in the back.

My experiences with places I’ve stayed:

Lynch’s Pot O’ Gold campground - thought it would be cheaper than a room with a bed. It wasn’t. And it rained. And it was freezing. Won’t do that again.

Furlongs - fierce craic every nite. Great price. Yvonne is indeed excellent to deal with. All-nighter on the last nite (Friday). Many students just keep their instruments packed away and listen to the masters rip it up on Friday (Dermot McLaughlin, Jimmy Noonan, Jackie Daly, Matt Cranitch, et al last year).

McGraths - for quieter accomodations. One year Eamonn & Roisin Dillon had a standing gig there every nite, all week. Deadly! Last year, I stumbled upon a cozy little late nite fluting trio - Mike Rafferty, Linda Hickman, and Felix Dolan. A spiritual moment, indeed!

Fern Cliff - the most expensive place in E. Durham - at least it seemed that way. I stayed there last year because I thought my wife and infant son would come with me, and I hoped it would be the least musty of all the places there. It was. But it’s all relative in E. Durham. Turns out I overspent because they ended up not coming - rained all week, and my wife is an ITM-muggle.

There are also: Gavin’s, Stacks Lamppost Inn, Erin’s Melody (probably where I’ll stay next time. It’s centrally located and I think breakfast is included?), Shamrock House, and a few others, but I’m not remembering them right now.

IMO, the best craic for the dollar/pound/euro = Furlong’s.

There is another campground a bit outside of town where some friends of mine have stayed for about three or four years now. They like it, but they don’t partake of the in-town scene too much.

BTW Conán, I see that Marty Fahey is going to be there as well, even though he’s teaching piano, not PA. Cool beans!

Had a great time last summer at Furlongs with "thesession.org" folks. Definitely up for more of the same this summer. Conan, I’ve emailed you via this site. Will also start contacting folks who spearheaded stuff last year.

There must be some money in them computer systems, eh Conan. From the backstreets of Belfast to the Catskills, via God knows where, and all them others travelling from San Francisco and the Rockies and what not. I can’t afford to go to Donegal. But I am not a bitter man, all the best, enjoy yourself. Always knew these bloody computers were a rip off.

Amtrak from Penn Station in New York to Hudson NY, then get a taxi from Hudson station to East Durham. This entails a trip across the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. Tolls going going east bound only. So you don’t have to worry when going there only coming back. Hudson is a good half hour from East Durham as the main roads go. Fifteen if your a local, know the back roads, and the State Troopers aren’t around.

Posted by .

Conán - I only got to a few days of it last year, due to personal circumstances, so I didn’t get a full flavour of the thing. From a European perspective you have to remember that East Durham is spread out more than a UK or Irish village. If you’ll be lugging round a big box, which you will, make sure you’re ok for lifts, or hire a car…but then you won’t be able to drive home, as you, like masell, like a wee swally. But from my limited perspective the sessions at Furlongs are really excellent, but maybe too big for my personal preference. And a lot of it is follow the leader…but at least the leaders are top people - Crannitch, Daly, Bergin, Conway et al. Also don’t be feart to lead the odd set if the opportunity arises. These guys are always on the lookout (well, they should be!) for new sets, new approaches. And ye’d be well capable of that.

"…get a taxi from Hudson station to East Durham"

Jeezum crow. What the devil is that fare going to be?

As an alternative I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if someone is orginizing a private charter bus from NYC directly to the event and that the orginizers could put you in touch with them.

"Fifteen if your a local, know the back roads"

I just like driving from Surprise to Gayhead to Climax. We’ll leave Coxsackie out of it for now as it seems a bit redundant, not to mention on the wrong side of the rivier.

Ending up in Result has always presented intriguing possibilities though.

I used to play the old Limelight Inn in Gayhead now and again, like, ya know, before it went and burned down. You ever out that way?

KFG

Posted by .

I had a great time last year. I stayed at Furlong’s with Joyce and Emily, and Danny, and Jason, and Susan and Dave, and, and lots of new friends, too!

Zina, Conan, you’ll have a blast! I would love to do it again, but would consider doing only the afternoon class this time. Gosh, is the summer that close already?

Posted by .

I would second the afternoon class thing. I passed on the morning classes after being told that unless I had a family or some other excuse to go to bed early the night before, I would likely not be too with it in the mornings. Although I was probably better off than most people in the morning, one set of lessons in the afternoon was enough for me. Got plenty of technique and tunes to make me happy. Anywho, off to bed.

Went to alot of sessions in Ny last year, loads of musicians seem to be passing through allways

Hey thanks for the extremely helpful replies everyone! I posted this just as I finished work yesterday so only seeing most of this now.

I think I’ll stay in Furlong’s if there’s a room for me. I was in east Durham for a Tionol back in November but I was lucky enough to have a lift there and back. East Durham is quite spread out but not impossibly so. I’ll still try to cadge a lift or two though ;¬)

That’s great to hear that Eamonn and Róisín have been there - they’re old friends from Belfast. I saw them last year when they called back for a visit.

Browndog mentioned Stack’s - apparently the Stacks are cousins of Foxy Finucane the London based banjo player who I’m sure quite a f ew of you know. Must resist the temptation to trade on the association!

This looks great. And Mary Coogan of Cherish the Ladies fame is down for mandolin lessons.
Unfortunately I can’t go due to my oppo having booked his hols already on those dates.

I see the director is Paul Keating.
A case of "the (re-) session we had to have" …?

Posted by .

I went to see Cherish the Ladies again in Glasgow. It was entertaining enough but it’s getting to be a bit stale and formulaic these days. I was very disappointed that Mary Coogan contributed very little apart from a "backing role". No mandolin, banjo, and no "highlights" or solo guitar etc. It seemed such a waste, especially as she is one of the mainstays of the band.

Jimmy Keane is teaching Piano box as well I believe. Geez, if I want to go, it sounds like I better get on it, all the choice lodgings will be gone!

Yeah just found that out too! Happy days! Don’t know if I’ll be good enough to take his advanced class but it’s the one in the afternon so I guess I’ll enrol for that. Might just make it out of bed to one or two classes.

See you there.

C

Liz Carroll and Maeve Donnelly! Yow! I am sooooo there! Andee, I’ll write you offline re: rooming!

Oh, hey, I’m going to be there too! Can’t decide which classes to take, I’ve so far narrowed it down to three choices for the morning and three choices for the afternoon. I’ve been the past two years and it’s always the best week of my year. I’m staying at Weldon house, which is somehow connected with Erin’s Melody. We stayed there last year, and every night there was an unscheduled session in the lounge, which we loved.The regular scheduled sessions are usually huge, and the one in the lounge was much smaller,which was very nice.You could actually hear everybody individually and learn people’s names and stuff. Well,see you all there!

-Kelly

Someone warned me that since I tend to get wheezy around mildew , cigarette smoke I needed to ask around about places to stay. Any ideas? I HATE for it to be an issue so I’d rather avoid booking somewhere I might have a problem. Jennifer

All the places in East Durham seemed old and most likely mildewy. Furlong’s definitley was.

Posted by .

Yeah but, no but, at least Furlong’s was cheap! And let’s face it most of the function of the room was solely to crash out in…ok, maybe some of youse et there also. But the big no-no for me was the freeee-e-e-zing cold showers -the water straight from the Catskill Mtns (there had been a fault with the water heater) immediately after a run…..brrrr! Sobered me up even if the run didn’t.

Hey "Pingu"! Cheap it was, and such cameraderie we all had, huh? It was wonderful….

Posted by .

Yeah, Andee, it’s high time we had a good auld reminisce. That was a nice gang of people we found ourselves among (including yourself of course!)…I wish I could have been there for the whole week…in fact I’d like to make it this year but really that won’t be feasible. Och well, some other year. Maybe I’ll drag the whole fambly out there some time!

Old is great . It would be the hope not to spend much time in the room anyway. So I’ll just pack prednisone in case . You’re never too old to outgrow asthma? Jennifer

Re: East Durham Irish Arts Week - Accommodations

Check the link below for accommodation info - East Durham is a small, rural community, situated on either side of a few miles of Route 145. There are many local B&Bs, as well as "houses" - boarding houses, so to speak - and motels. I’m sure you will be able to find something fairly easily. E-mail the Irish Arts Week staff for more info.
http://www.east-durham.org/irishartsweek/index.htm

From the sounds of your post, it sounds like you may not have a car. Some people walk around and it is certainly doable. Some of the sessions are a bit on the outskirts of town. If you don’t have a car, I wouldrecommend something in the middle of town, like Erin’s Melody, but rooms there get taken quickly. If worse comes to worse, you can always just bum a ride from somebody. My one year of experience there tells me that the musicians are pretty non threatening.

(If you have a car, disregard all of the above)

I’m going over for the first time ever this year teaching and I’m really looking forward to it… Hopefully I might meet some of you guys!!! Edel

Welcome to TheSession, Edel.
Heard you in Kilrush last August. There’s quite a few concertina players on this site and we’re lucky to have you on board.
Mike.

Edel…You recall us Helen & Roger? We will be over in few weeks , talk to you then. Only Helen is in workshop with Maeve so can easily drive you around East Durham. There will be plenty of other possibilities.. We’ll look for you in a few weeks or at least drop in on your mum.

Posted by .

My daughter tells me this is an ancient discussion and there’s no point in replying to it now, but I know the answer! Hudson, NY is the closest station. You’ll need to take a taxi from there. We were there one year with no car, and managed to walk or bum rides from people to get everywhere we needed to go.