Help? ABC Navigator 2

Help? ABC Navigator 2

Just loaded ABCNavigator 2 (recently appeared on Links page) and it all seems well layed out and works fine BUT there doesn’ t seem to be a help file (or tutorial) yet.
Neither is there an email address to enquire.

Anyone else had a look at it?
Anyone else know about the whereabouts of a helpfile/quick tour?.

It should be good for people who use ABC a lot - once we have guessed how to use it.

Re: Help? ABC Navigator 2

I just downloaded it meself, and altough there isn’t any tutor, it just takes an hour to figure it out, it’s really easy to use.

I posted the link. So far I haven’t had any problems using it. Just click buttons and see what they do. It is pretty self-explanatory, but then I have been using Abc2win for several years.
Let’s have specific queries on this thread and I will see if I can answer them or maybe someone else might help. I particularily like the sound of the playback midi (in as much as you can like midi music).
Good luck

I’ll start by saying that I think it’s an amazingly good application - so easy to use, with great print layout.

But… it seems to disable right click, and so there doesn’t seem to be anyway of copying and pasting abc snippets? Is that right?

On The Session, that’s not a problem as we can download the abc file, but if there’s a piece of abc in something like the woodenflute mailing, do I really have to retype it in?

thanks,

Pamela

I can’t seem to make the tune paste command work. If you click on New Tune there is a right mouse click option of paste, but it seems to be disabled.
The only way around this would be to store tunes in a file which can be opened in MS Notepad where the paste command could be used and then open the file in Navigator, where you could do further editing if you want.
It is a little cumbersome but not insurmountable. I think the rest of the program makes up for this.

Apart from the paste problem this looks really good. Amazing that you can still find free stuff like this.

Posted by .

Guess I should spend some more time with this prog before picking out "bugs". If you want to edit a tune you can right click a song title and choose "edit".
On my machine, I don’t get the right mouse options, but you can copy and paste etc using the keyboard commands. Sorry if this is obvious to everybody,,

Posted by .

If you tripple-click on the ABC text on thesession, then push ctrl and C at the same time, then go to ABCn2 and paste in the New ABC section (using ctrl and V), you can copy and paste anything.

I never knew you could play triplets on a mouse!

Posted by .

Cammy
Didn’t you know that Mice gave birth to triplets!

I don’t know if Donough or someone else who has used ABC navigator will see this comment as it is a little belated.
I’ve found this program quite good but, as stated above, it’s not possible to copy and paste phrases of music while compiling the tune so it takes a little longer having to type or insert every note. Another small problem is when you download ABCs(like from this site) you will sometimes get an error with the key signature e.g it doesn’t like Dmaj or Dmin so you have edit the key signature to read say D or Dm instead. Then, it transposes the music correctly.

Apart from that, I’m finding it very useful.

I can’t get sound from this app. Has anyone else hit this problem?

Actually - human (or swamp thing) error. Fixed it.

Brother,
How did you fix the sound thing. I had sound for over a year..now nothing. I can see the song playng (counter moving) but nothing comes from speakers. Sound works on other applications on my computer.

I was hunting for a fix for this problem myself and have just found a remedy for my own computer … may nor work for you, but check the detailed settings for you sound card. I found these either in the tray at the bottom right or from the Control Panel. For some reason the Synth/Midi output was zeroed. I twigged this when I noticed that another piece of software that did MIDI output had gone quiet.

Chris

Thanks, I was looking for the answer to just this problem and this fixed it. I got there by right clicking the speaker icon in the tray in the lower right corner of the screen. Using Windows XP

Enough people have been discussing it for 2 1/2 years. Now if you could just write JP Martin & ask him politely to update his link to Chris Walshaw, provide a ‘Help’ file, & fix the bugs with Microsoft’s synthesizer ~ wouldn’t that be grand? http://abcnavigator.free.fr/
abcnavigator sound has disappeared
Posted on September 11th 2007 by bunratty
http://www.thesession.org/discussions/15099
Another ABC navigator query
Posted on July 20th 2007 by Key Maniac Lad
http://www.thesession.org/discussions/14515
Help? ABC Navigator 2
Posted on February 27th 2005 by geoffwright
http://www.thesession.org/discussions/5944

Does it suggest that those of us interested in using it should band together and write our own tutorial/help notes? It would be easy to start with the Features listing from the ABC Navigator web page as a template and make sure we assemble instructions so that every feature could be exploited.

Terry

If the synth slider is missing from your volume control panel, try the following that fixes midi playback problems:

1) Go to settings - control panel - sounds and audio devices

2) Select the Audio tab and under "MIDI music playback" - Default device: make sure it’s set to "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth". Tick the "Use only default devices" check-box for the hell of it. Click "Apply" then "OK".

3) Re-open "sounds and audio devices" and this time select the "Volume" tab. Under "Device Volume" click the "Advanced…" button. It will open up the Volume Control thing. In the Volume control thing, click on "Options" - "Properties". In the Properties window (under the "Adjust volume for" submenu) select the "Playback" radio button. In the "Show the following volume controls:" submenu, tick the "SW Synth" check box. Click OK and SW Synth volume control thing will now be shown in the Volume Control option box thing. Untick the mute check box and adjust the volume. Close the window once you are done and you should hear the midi files now.

How do you delete a specific file in ABC Navigator 2
Irving

If you find out let me know. Presumably you should be able to delete the file while you’re in the Navigator program. If that doesn’t work, determine which folder has the .abc file & delete it directly from the folder. You can see which folder the file is in when you first *Open* the file in ABC Navigator 2.

I know the questions about a help file/website are MANY years old, but I have just seen them now, so if you who haven’t found it, here is a site where you can find almost everything about ABC:

http://www.lesession.co.uk/abc/abc_notation.htm#notes

Posted by .

@ceili: that link is useful for answering general questions about ABC notation, but not for answering questions about ABC Navigator 2. As far as I know, the above questions remain unanswered at present.