Irish Tales by Eddie Lenihan

Irish Tales by Eddie Lenihan

From Monday to Friday this week BBC Radio 4 is broadcasting at 3.30pm (BST) a series of evocative Irish tales collected and read by Eddie Lenihan, one of the greatest if Irish story-tellers.
Each story may be downloaded from the BBC’s website up to 7 days from its first broadcast (they’re good quality downloads). The website to go to is,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/afternoon_reading.shtml
The introductory music for each story is Martin Hayes playing Paddy Fahey’s reel (track #1 of The Lonesome Touch). My guess is that sales of this CD may well get boosted by these broadcasts, and, who knows, there may be further people attracted to ITM as a result.
Trevor

Re: Irish Tales by Eddie Lenihan

Surely no-one would buy a CD by him. Well I might, if I actually bought CDs.

Is this the man from around Ennis, County Clare who successfully campaigned to divert the building of a new local highway there to go around a faery mound?

There may have been an ambiguity in my post. The CD I was referring to was Martin Hayes’, although Eddie Lenihan may well have produced CDs and videos. Eddie Lenihan lives in County Clare, where he seems to have collected a lot of his folklore material, so it wouldn’t surprise me if he campaigned to divert a highway round a faery mound (a bronze age burial mound?).
Trevor.

A bronze age burial mound? Nothing so drab! Eddie (if it was him) insisted the wee folk live there, and eternal bad luck to anyone who had a road through it!

I can understand wanting to protect a Bronze Age site. Ancient Ireland stuff is very interesting. I understand that they had a metal didjeridoo type instrument. Since it is "traditional" maybe we need to resurrect this instrument for sessions.

Eddie Lenihan lives in Clare now but he was born in Kerry and when I heard him a few years back he still sounded Kerry to me. Good stories, well told. I think he’s worth listening to just for the accent… I don’t much like stories of Finn McCumhail as a Giant rather than a hero, but sure the world is big enough. The story of Petticoat Loose is definitely worth hearing.
If you are after the "Metal Digeridoo type instrument", it’s been done. It’s called a Carnyx and has been resurrected in Scotland. You can hear it on a CD called "Kathryn Tickell & Ensemble Mystical" by …Kathryn Tickell & Ensemble Mystical. The Carnyx is played by John Kenny.

Innocent Bystander and Backer: Thank you. I get fixated on this type of stuff.

The wee fellas referred to here are probably the pucas (pookas). The Gaelic form of saying this translates as "the pucas would p#ss on your highway project."

Yer Welcome Ceol, and Thanks from me, Backer for the link. Impressive! I was so impressed I typed "Carnyx" into Google and the first site it came up with had John Kenny’s address in Edinburgh.

All for protecting ancient sites in Ireland. They’re going to be under a lot more pressure. Is enough being done?

Eddie was apparently looking for a backer to make an archive of the thousands of stories he’s collected. Anyone know if he got one?

Just to say that the BBC is currently having technical problems with the downloading of their programme recordings on the Web.
I’ve downloaded Thursday’s "Irish Tales" from the Radio 4 website, and this 15min programme took 30mins to download. What was happening was that RealPlayer (the only application currently available for downloading from the Radio 4 website) was pausing for several minutes several times during the download. Fortunately, I was recording the download on my audio editor (CoolEdit), so it will be easy (if a little tedious) to edit out the long blanks from the wav file, and no broadcast material has actually been lost.
The BBC is aware of the problem and I’ve filled in a form on their website giving details of what has happened.

Trevor

When I saw the Tinkers in concert, Wayne had a huge, loud Didjeridoo that had to be over 6 ft. long. He balanced it vertically from his chin. They used the didj as a drone to go with Scottish bagpipes. Wild guys. I have their "Bangers for Breakfast" best-of type CD.

Do they have Bronze Age replica sites with actors in the part of the ancient Irish? That would be an excellent fund raiser for Eddie.

Soundin’ a bit like a Father Ted scenario, Ceol.

I’m trying to balance this thread’s contribution with the "Live in an ITM Area" thread or "Is It Just the Music" thread (definitely not Father Ted). I have to be politically correct somewhere to balance out.

I could see a giant bodhran turned open side down as a hut for Bodhran Bliss. He could have his monument and live in it too. He might even look authentic in Bronze Age ancient Irish clothes. He smokes the Bliss herb and would probably get along nicely with the wee people.

Hmm - a sweat hut, smokey herbs and a carnyx, and a good dose of hyperventilation - that’ll get him seein’ things no problems.

Anyone who wants to see Eddie in the flesh will have the opportunity at this year’s Fleadh Nua in Ennis where he will once again be running story-telling sessions on the Saturday and Sunday (29/30 May). His fearsome appearance (ragged beard, windswept hairstyle and messianic glare) has been known to turn some of the bravest souls to a quivering jelly! As for his relevance to this thread, well he is traditional and has been a regular feature at the Fleadh for many years now.

I’ve received an email from the BBC from the BBC about my problem in downloading their programme. The relevant part is as follows:
“We’re sorry you have been having problems with listening to our programme via the web. The problem with streaming audio is that bottlenecks may occur anywhere on the network from our server to your computer. One possibility is that a server somewhere on the internet has failed or has reached it’s maximum capacity and so the traffic that was passing through it is now being routed through smaller and/or slower servers.”

Trevor

Ah yes, the ancient and honorable art of passing the buck. ;)

Ceol, my husband and I are among the screaming crowd in the Puyallup tracks on that cd. "Twas a fun concert indeed!

How odd. I was repeating myself myself.
Trevor