Buying - Brendan White Vs. Eckermann (Oh no, Bodhrans!)

Buying - Brendan White Vs. Eckermann (Oh no, Bodhrans!)

Hello fellow Bodhran players.

I’ve been playing a triple skinned Brendan White drum
for around a year now, and so far it has served me well.
(Yes triple. Poor goat/s)
Problem is, this specific drum tends to play the low sounds
a whole lot more than the high sounds and when appearing on stage it doesn’t matter if I stretch the skin or boost up
the highs on the mixer, the drum is just "boom boom boom".

I’ve heard the Brendan White single skinned drum and the high sounds are amazing while the Eckermann got me
to the same level of amazement.

I’m thinking about buying a new one, so whaddya say:
* Brendan or Eckermann? *
(considering the fact that Eckermann takes almost double the time and money, I tend to want a Brendan).

* I’ve heard of Alfonso, Bill Wright, Vignoles, Malachy Kearns and Walton’s.
I’ve narrowed it down to two makers because:
Alfonso it very expensive, Bill Wright has a long waiting list and doesn’t have a website (as far as I know), Vignoles - Don’t like the sound so much, Kearns - Oh come on.., Walton’s - Ditto.
Any other suggestions? (I need to buy via website)

Re: Buying - Brendan White Vs. Eckermann (Oh no, Bodhrans!)

brendan white is the one but if you are open to ideas i have a mog single skin very very deep rim what gives me both top and bottom sounds have a look on my site there are some sounds http://www.ingramsounds.co.uk its in sounds of the bodhrán

Greetings,

Brendan White makes fine bodhráns as does Norbert Eckermann. If I had to make the choice of the two I think I would choose an Eckermann. I am curious as to why you contend that Albert Alfonso’s bodhráns are very expensive. His price range is from around $380.00 to $425.00 as far as I know. Have you priced the Eckermann bodhráns? Have you looked into Rob Forkner’s drums? They trade under the name Metloef and are findable at www.metloef.com. Christian Hedwitschak is gaining some great press these days and his drums are findable on the Internet as well.

What sound are you looking for? Relate it to a player today.

Peace,
Ed

Eamon Maguire, find it on the net. used to be about $100 but now that everyone is ripping of the Yanks, probably about $250. They are good mind you.

I just got a Mike Quinlain bodhran and it really is lovely. He’s based in Chicago and it seems like bloody everyone in the city has got one of his drums. Sort of a testament to the quality, i would think. Anyway, he’s a wonderful guy - check out his stuff at www.qdrums.com, if’n ye’d like.

Posted by .

The pictures on the Quinlan drums are very attractive, actually pretty stunning. However, I am wondering why he doesn’t talk about the skins he uses - he mentions the drum’s other attributes.

ingramsounds - The drums look amazing and the bass
sound is a killer, but It’s not exacly the tonal range I’m looking for,
if I could hear the drum in person and give it a go it would be the best but since I have to count on the recording, It’s a bit too "bassy" for me.. :) Thanks.

Ed - Thanks for the info, Alfonso is expensive as Eckermann, but the only difference is I’ve heard Eckermann’s drum (and the sound sample) in person and really liked it so I can’t relay on pictures (I’m targeting for a Joe John Kelly sound (More like Track 2 on Flook - Rubai).
Metloaf is good, but it’s still not the sound I’m looking for :(

i am gonna do another recording for you i will send u the link when its done

Greetings,

The Eckermann, Metloef (both kangaroo and lambeg skinned), Alfonso (thin skin), and Hedwitschak bodhráns are all capable of the same tonal range that you hear on John Joe Kelly’s recordings with Flook. I can run up and down the scales with my Alfonso, tonally not necessarily perfect but certainly complimentary pitch, and it has a thicker raw skin but his thinner skinned drums seem to be better suited for this type of play. It is really a matter of the player more than the bodhrán. I once was told that Junior Davey played a tourist model bodhrán from Pakistan on the recording he did with Declan Foley entitled “Skin and Bow”. If indeed this is correct, and I do not contend that it is or isn’t, it is clear that it is the player not the bodhrán.

The quest for the ultimate bodhrán is never ending. I have played a bodhrán made by each maker mentioned and to my way of thinking they are all fine, well constructed drums. I prefer a skin that is not chemically tanned but broken in through playing. One need be patient with such a skin and there is always the possibility that the skin will not come in the way one wishes but I find them more versatile. I understand that John Joe Kelly plays Alfonso bodhráns these days and believe me I in no way what-so-ever receive compensation from Albert.

Please keep in mind that if you indeed wish to play in traditional settings the playing style heard on the Flook recordings may not be the most welcomed style of play.

Peace,
Ed

Ed is exactly right. Its not necessarily the drum, its the player. There is no drum on earth that will make you sound like "John Joe Kelly from track 2 on Rubai". That is all John Joe’s very well-done technique plus exceptional mic-ing and production. No drum will ever make anyone sound like that. It is 90% technique. That being said, there are things that have to do with the drum that can at least point you towards the sound you are looking for, such as tapig the edges to dampen over tones, using BBQ skewer sticks for punchiness, etc.

I say that because I just recieved a record from a friend of mine Jean-Francois Berthiaume who used one of my drums on a that recording (mostly Quebecois and mouth-music). He’s got a technique that allows him (somehow) to get huge bass out of the drum. Then again he’s not a top end or multi-octave styled player. On the same drum someone like Rolf Wagels or John Joe would get all sorts of different sounds out.

If I were you I’d go for the drum that is the most comfortable and well-made within your price range, then start chasing techniques. Its primarily stick-hand, and more importantly skin-hand techniques that will tease those tones out of the drum. Go to workshops, concerts, etc and make careful observations as to what people are doing and incorporate that into your repertoire. You will then discover that you can do those things and get those sounds out of just about any drum, with variations in tone and response differing in a noticeable, but comparably minimal sense from one drum to the next.

The technique is key, the drum is just the palette.

Cheers
Rob
www.metloef.com

Here you can hear a sample of an Eckermann 14" single-skin, played by Min Gates:

www.cdbaby.com/culchies

It’s -not- JJK style, tho…

steveV

To all,

I primarily use goat skins that I process to soften them so as to reduce play in time. The supplier I use also offers skins that he breaks as it were to soften them. He sent me some prototypes that I mounted on some shells and I found then to be Identical to the skins I process. I have been mounting skins in this fashion since last fall with positive feedback! I responded to another thread regarding a maker who is offering a soften or broken in skin but it didn’t download to this site. Yes, we use the same supplier! These skins have been seen by other makers and the supplier was given positive feedback. The result is a very tonal drum right out of the box. These are the skins I use. Thanks for asking. Any other questions about my skins or shell are welcome at www.qdrums.com.

Thanks!

Mike Quinlan

Posted by .

PS,

I am developing an intermediate drum for those people who can’t or won’t spend the money on a professional styled drum. All these drums will have a modest tuning system, shell and the above mentioned skins. Spartan but functional! Not sure on the price yet but my goal is to keep it inexpensive.

Mike

Posted by .

Thanks for all the answes /all/.

Btw - for all people who thought I’m deep into
John Joe Kelly - yes, he is a very good player and has
an amazing technique, but I never said I’m
"fixed" on the drums he plays or his style, just mentioned
a good drum sound I always use for reference.. :)

I’ll do another round of Bodhran sites later on.

You can use the "Search" option at this website, as we have had several of these threads with links and information on a wide range of drums.

I play a tuneable, double skin Brenden White bodhran and I have been very happy with it. I saw the Johnny McDonagh has used one of these is why I bought it over the internet.

However, Johnny, Tommy Hayes, John Joe Kelly all have bodhran collections and there are at least several excellent bodhran makers in the business.

If your location allows you to visit the shop or hear the bodhrans being played, that would help your decision making. Best Wishes. ;-)

johnny mcdonaghs favourite bodhran is one charlie burns made him years ago.i have a seamus o kane drum and it sounds nice.nice bass off it.

Posted by .

I know it’s been awhile since someone posted on this topic, but would someone (such as Mike Quinlan) talk in depth about the differences between the sound of single skin versus a double skin?

Posted by .