Whistle for children…

Whistle for children…

Hi !
How old do you think a child could begin to learn the whistle. I began late and I wish to teach my daughter, who’s five. I don’t know how to be sure that’s the right moment…

Re: Whistle for children…

When she is able to be responsible with her toys, and shows interest in the whistle, give her one of her own! Don’t have her borrow one of yours. There’s nothing quite like the thrill of being given your first instrument. There’s really no such thing as "too late to learn," so give it some time. The main thing is to let HER come to the music. Do not, do Not, DO NOT try to force it on her "because she’s young now." That’s a sure way to make her dislike it if not outright hate it.

Good luck! :-)
-P

Slightly unrelated, but you may be able to stimulate interest in a small child playing by holding the whistle upside down in his/her mouth while you do the fingering to the tune and s/he does the blowing. My wee Fergus (2.9 years) can blow out Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. He gets a large charge after "playing" it thinking he did it all by himself!

Hey Danny - that’s great! love it.

I second what Philem said. Don’t push - but do allow. I bought whistles for both mine when they were about six (G whistle, for small hands) - just as a Christmas stocking filler. Never did any more than that. Now my daughter plays whistle, piano, clarinet, guitar, mandolin, and anything else she can scrounge and is in her final year of a music degree, and the lad plays whistle, recorder, flute, harmonica and melodeon, and is playing at sessions all week and in concert halls sometimes.

Good luck with the little girl.

More thoughts from a blonde on this subject:

Have music in the house. Not just the radio, but invite some of your musician friends over for a Friday night. Yes, it’s great to play in the pubs, but if you’ve not had the experience of session music in your own home… <smile>

This way, it would show her that music is fun, that it’s about sharing and having laughs. Showa’s idea about "stocking stuffers" is a good one, too! Maybe a little cheapie Generation (which is a fine starter whistle), then when she expresses interest and intent, get something a bit further up the food-chain. :-)

-P

My sister, who is also five, is taking the whistle up next week so you’re not on your own be assured!

There’s no real "right" age to start learning music. My daughter started on the whistle at about age 10 and has since moved on to guitar, drums and keyboard. The important thing to remember is not to get pushy with it. Also if the child tends to stray away from the instrument after a while don’t go and get rid of the instruments right away. Like all things kids will pick them up and drop them over the years but they usually do return to music. The important thing I stress to my daughter is that music and the ability to play is always going to be with her no matter what else she does in life. It’s always going to be a passtime and a source of pleasure to get away from the stress of work. Encourage gently and sit back to watch them grow into their own.

I wish I had started Whistle when I was 5 instead of 14 but I am pretty good for only two years. Encourage do not force.

Bit like ‘Showad’, we had music in the house all the time our son was growing up, we took him to sessions from day one, regularly had musicians around, later on he picked up the Bodhran & joined us at sessions then got bored with that [showed common sense there, at least! :-)] & taught himself the guitar, & then ‘progressed’ to the Bass.

He now gigs regularly each week, is in his 4th year of a music degree, & his instrument of choice is the 6 string Bass, both fretted & fretless - & believe me they are scarey beasties altogether.

Anyway, as you may have guessed, his music is Jazz, all sorts, he played at the Shetland Festival last year, Glastonbury this year & will be in Ronnie Scots before the end of the year.

So we are delighted we encouraged him, but we never forced it on him, but rather made it available, with all sorts of instruments just lying around the place so he grew up in a home where music was just a natural part of everyday life.

As for ITM - well he can’t stand it now!!
Och well, I suppose you ‘can’ get too much of a good thing! :-)

- & the moral of the story? Go figure…………………..

‘Showad’ - hmm - a level of familiarity - I’m beginning to feel like I fit in around here - cheers ‘Ptarm’, you’re my best mate you are.

Hey boy! Get yer hand off my knee……………….

Get them to come to heel as well.

I’ve started my daughter on my Overton low C and she’s only 2 and a bit.

Posted .

Mines just ordered her first half-set and she’s still only a twinkle in my eye!

Excellent Murrough! That’s my kind of Whistle. No 2nd octave to confuse my likkle brain! In fact, not even a 2nd note to confuse it either! :-D

Thanks all, for those good ideas :)

I’ll try and I’ll give news of her evolution… some day …

Our local primary school starts them in P4 ~ age 7-8. In my opinion it’s probably not a great idea to start them on wee f or g whistles as there will be little that they can ‘play along with’.

Probably the right age is when they can adequately cover all the holes without too much strain on the wee hands.