Young beginner tin whistle player

Young beginner tin whistle player

Hi everyone,
I’m italian my nema is Maria Teresa and I love Irish trad music so much that Im trying to lear to play Bodhran and Fiddle to play it.
My daughter in low (a 12 years old girl), listening to me speaking obout Ireland and Irisch music, has decided to lear to play tin whistle.
I have found a tutor and a "turist" tin whistle for her but I know nothing about how I can help her or what she can learn like tunes and which are the best whistles for a young beginner.
Could you help me?

Re: Young beginner tin whistle player

Maria. The best whistle for your daughter would be a whistle in the key of ‘D’, prefferably made by Waltons or Generation. You can order these whistles from various music shops on the internet. Try www.hobgoblin.co.uk or www.waltons.ie There are plenty of very good whistle tutor, book and CD sets out there. Geraldine cottar’s is very good and I started with that myself. Use the BBC folk music website and just generaly search for tunes on the net. This site is as good as any!

good for her. i wish her well. i taught myself to play and here is my major suggestion, "the left hand goes on top." i accidently learned left-handed, now playing any other wind instrument requires relearning. also, get the dog some ear plugs, some nasty hurty noises can come out of the whistle at first.

Welcome to TheSession, Maria Teresa — just wanted to say that I hope you’re having fun with it, and to wish your daughter good luck with the whistle. :)

"This site is as good as any" - whew! This site is bl**dy brilliant, and I appreciate the link to the whistle tutor site. Ta muchly!

Hey Bystander, no doubt you are familiar with that grand wee village in Fife, home of the late, great, Jimmy Shand & tae many a braw wee folk festival - Auchtermuchly! :-)

Just wondering if you head back, north of the border, at this time of year, to where you were educated, or back tae yer hameland, or do you see the New Year in, amangst thae heathens? :-)

Ooops nearly forgot!

Aye, hello there Maria, best of luck with ye olde Irish Music.

One way to make sure your daughter in law gets off to a good start, is for you to start learning to play the Whistle too.
That’s probably the best way to nurse her through any teething troubles & you’ll enjoy yourself into the bargain & see your own tunes from a different angle.

Anyway, hope you both have lots of fun with this great music - but don’t forget to learn your own music too.

Here’s another Whistle site worth checking out:

http://www.sessioneer.org/

I suggest gettint hte book written by Bill Ochs. That is how I learned, I am self taught and am a regular Session player it seems she has the skill in her genes so she should take right at it with the right book or teacher.

121 tunes by L.E. McC……. cheers

Posted by .

MadForTrad has a Tin Whistle CD ROM tutorial you can use with your computer.

thank you to everyone for all you have sugggested to me and when Linda (my daughter in law) will have an internet connection I’ll suggest to her to write to you

Also, another good tutorial site is;
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/index.html
These are Brother Steve’s truly excellent and wise pages of instruction and philosophy.
Ths simple fact that we played together in a band 25 years ago has nothing to do with my admiration for his common sense and skills in teaching.

Carissima Maria,

benvenuta, welcome! I’m one of the few Italians over here at The Session, and I too am relatively new to playing ITM. I second the suggestion that you too learn the tin whistle. Great little instrument, you wouldn’t believe what this little thing is capable of.

I assume your daughter was exposed to the recorder (flauto dolce) in school. Tell her to forget *everything* she learned from it. I’ve played the recorder for decades and it was hard to give up the playing style, which definitely doesn’t fit the whistle.

Brother Steve’s tutorial is great and very helpful. Happy whistling!

Try to listen to as many CDs and stuff as possible to get the rhythms of jigs reel etc into the head - the rest will come naturally!
Adh mór daoibh!

Just saw this.

Never forget Chiff and Fipple. Everything you would want to know about whistles and more. The boards there are full of the wisdom of more whistle players than you imagined possible, and we even like newcomers.

chiffandfipple.com