Sad news of the death of Fr PJ Kelly ,composer of some of the great tunes

Sad news of the death of Fr PJ Kelly ,composer of some of the great tunes

Sad news of the death of Fr PJ Kelly ,composer of some of the great tunes ,has died on Friday Night ,Removal in Dalgan .Navan ,Co Meath ,Monday 7 pm and Funeral on Tuesday at 11am .

Martin Donohoe

Re: Sad news of the death of Fr PJ Kelly ,composer of some of the great tunes

What a wonderful composer Fr. PJ Kelly was. I keep finding new music by him and each time am in awe. A great man has passed.

Does anyone know if his works have been published in total?

Mike Keyes
http://www.banjosessions.com/dec05/triplets.html

What instrument did Mr. Kelly play?

I only heard him on the Piano Accordion .

Bitter news. A great one has left us. But left us with something wonderful.

We also played one of his reels tonight (Monday) in memory of a great musician.

Does anyone know if he got a tunebook published?

I was so upset to hear of the passing of such a gentleman and friend. I was so honoured when he married my husband and I almost two years ago, even though he was just recovering from an operation. He even played at the end of the mass. I have always felt that in the few years that the TG4 music awards have been running, the organisers definately overlooked honouring Fr. Kelly with the composers award. He died peacefully and was given a fantastic send-off at his removal and funeral by Co. Meath musicians, Seán Ó Laoire, Antóin Mac Gabhann, Joe Burke and Anne Conroy. Ar dheis Dé atá sé ag ceol anois!

Posted by .

Can anyone tell me what the PJ stands for? (Patrick Joseph?) Also, I can’t seem to find his date of birth. I’d like to make a note on my music and give credit the composer.

Also, does anyone know if the Columbans customarily add an abbreviation after their name the way Jesuits add SJ or Marianists SM? Just want it done properly.

Thanks.

Re: Sad news of the death of Fr PJ Kelly, composer of some of the great tunes

The link Zina gave above said that Fr Kelly was at a session in 1960 after 8 years as a missionary. Now, you’re unlikely to be sent out as a missionary immediately after ordination (say 23-ish), so I’d guess he was in his mid-30s in 1960. This would put his age at death at 80-ish. I’ve heard that "J" stood for "James", but I wouldn’t swear to that.

Hello to all - I am a niece of Fr PJ Kelly. Thank you all for your lovely tributes to him, I am thrilled that his music touched so many people. To clarify some questions, particularly to ‘fidkid’ for your credits to Uncle PJ’s compositions - his correct name is Fr Patrick Joseph Kelly, he was always known as PJ Kelly. He was born 16th September, 1925 in Woodford, Loughrea (please excuse any miss-spelling of towns - I live in Perth Western Australia & haven’t been back to Ireland since I was 10!), Co. Galway. Again, thank you for your kind words for both Uncle PJ himself & his music. I was lucky to enjoy many hours of learning from him & playing with him as a youngster.