Health benefits of wind instruments

Health benefits of wind instruments

Seen any of the articles about the health benefits of playing the didgeridoo, e.g., http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/12/051224094017.htm ? Do you think maybe the flute and whistle would have similar benefits? Or harmonica? Should we all switch to wind instruments?

Anybody here who actually plays the didgeridoo and can compare it with playing other wind instruments?

Re: Health benefits of wind instruments

All my hair on my head grew back after starting the flute, and I now have wash-board abs too.

Wow, that’s impressive, Jack! I wonder if it’s too late for me.

When I started playing the flute, my dental health improved a lot, the dandruff disappeared and my girlfriend returned to me.

That’s terrific about the girlfriend, Janek, just remember… it’s not the size of your flute — it’s what you do with it. ;-)

So, do we not have a single didgeridooist here?

Classified ad: SWM, full head of hair and plays a very large didgeridoo - looking for SWF interested in a romantic relationship. Loves ITM and walks on the beach.

Okay, adult swim!

I reckon the appearance of a didge at our session a couple of years back at least added a new word to our local vocabularly. Now the girls usually ask me if I’m just pleased to see them or is that a Didgeridoo in my pocket! - Boom Boom :-)

As for the Flute:

"Flutists and teachers may disagree on many issues but there is one thing that is a universally accepted fact: the flute is an awkward and uncomfortable instrument to hold."

http://www.johnlunn.com/lunnflutes/ho1.htm

I know I used to misuse my legs and feet until I, too, discovered fundamental principles underlying coordinated human activity by learning the whistle. What a profound article.

Flute is akward to hold, esspecially Rockestro grip, that is my opinion I use Boylan/Doorley grip. Well I have lost weight by palying Flute, I play instead of sit in front of the TV and eat.

I have a didge behind a bookcase in a corner of a room. It belongs to my daughter who made it a few years ago in Australia and mistakenly sent it to me instead of to Belgium where she lives, and has yet to collect. I had to pay the delivery man £49 import duty on the thing :-(
Anyway, I can’t play it and have never attempted to, even though there is apparently a cd with it that explains the tricks of the trade, include circular breathing. However, it is just heavy enough to be useful for some weight-training exercises. That’s the only health use for it I can think of.

The big problem with the didgeridoo is the danger of getting it stuffed…. somewhere.

No comments yet about the health issues of playing the flute in smokey pubs ? That sudden sharp intake of air between the controlled exhalations ?

Since taking up the b/c box it’s been up to ten inches longer every night. At least it is when I remember to undo the little leather straps at the side.

You have straps?

Sleep apnea is a leading indirect cause of death among men. I suspect it could account for a big part of the difference in life expectancy between men and women.

What’s interesting to me about the didge research is that the benefit seems to come from strengthening and training the muscles that control the upper airways. This translates into better air flow during sleep and reduced apnea. I wonder if there are folks who’ve taken up a wind instrument, particularly in middle age, and noticed that their snoring has decreased.

The study is a complete load of rubbish. I play didgeridoo and circular breath!! I still snore!!!