Dave Copley Flutes.

Dave Copley Flutes.

Hi all.

I’m considering ordering a six keyed black wood flute and was curious as to whether or not anyone has any experience with these instruments? I’m particularly interested in any comments bout the intonation. The sound samples on his website sound great.

Any info would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,
Ben.

Re: Dave Copley Flutes.

I have heard many great things about Dave’s Flutes.

Although, I can think of a couple of makers a bit closer to you, your bio says Sydney. Maybe check out Terry McGee’s Flutes. Not only do they constantly get good reviews, but I can add some of my own experience so I am not just assuming. I played a 6-key Rudall & Rose Improved with the Rectangular Embochure at a session last Friday. Even though I only had it for one set, I can add a bit. The tone and playability were among the greatest I have heard in a Flute. The workmanship was top notch, I did not check the intonation on it as I only had it for a couple minutes.

Of course, if only a Copley will satisfiy you, you probably will not be disappointed.

I’m usually against posts like the one above for a variety of reasons.

A flute is a good flute if it is playable and reasonably in tune. All the other stuff is too subjective and biased to mean anything. So yes, Dave Copley’s flutes are playable and in tune.

I’ve had a 6-key Copley for a bit under two years now. The intonation is very good. The keys are solid and functional, although the springs were quite tight when I received it. (I had them loosened by a woodwind repair guy in town.)

I have an unkeyed blackwood Copley, Have had it for about a year now. Quality of workmanship seems excellent, and I adore it. I bought it from a member of the Chiff and Fipple flute forum where Dave’s flutes generally get a very good report. But as Jack says, beyond being in tune and playable, it all gets very subjective. The only thing that I’ve ever heard said vaguely against the Copley flutes is that they are not exact copies of Ruddal or Pratten style, but a hybrid. Personally I like that - I get a bit of both worlds. Horses for courses. Of course, if it’s for a horse you may need the embochure adjusted…

Posted by .