The Session has a read-only API. Information that is available through the website as HTML is also available in other formats. To request a URL in another format, add
?format= to the URL with one of the these formats specified:
By default, 10 items will be returned in a list. You can request up to 50 items by appending &perpage= e.g. /tunes/new?format=json&perpage=35
If you request an individual item, e.g. /tunes/27?format=xml, you will get back the details for that item and any comments that have been posted to it.
|New tune settings||/tunes/new|
|Recordings of tunes||/tunes/recordings|
|Sets of tunes||/tunes/sets|
|Tune search results||/tunes/search?q=searchterm|
|Comments on tunes||/tunes/comments|
|Recordings search results||/recordings/search?q=searchterm|
|Comments on recordings||/recordings/comments|
|Trips search results||/trips/search?q=searchterm|
|Comments on trips||/trips/comments|
|Sessions search results||/sessions/search?q=searchterm|
|Comments on sessions||/sessions/comments|
|Events search results||/events/search?q=searchterm|
|Comments on events||/events/comments|
|Discussions search results||/discussions/search?q=searchterm|
|Comments on discussions||/discussions/comments|
|Sets of tunes||/members/ID/sets|
There are a number of activity streams published on The Session to the Activity Streams JSON specification. You can access the activity streams by appending
?format=json to these endpoints (paginate with
Activity streams are also available for individual items:
There are also individual activity streams for member notifications:
Here are some things people have made using The Session’s API or data dumps:
- An app for iPhone and iPad for managing tune collections.
- A web app that recognises tunes from audio input.
- Session Maker
- An Android app for creating sets of tunes. It integrates with your tunebook here on The Session.
- TradMusician’s ABC music
- An Android app for managing your tunebook.
- A map showing the distribution of Irish traditional tunes which reference place names in Ireland.
- A Java helper library to make it easier for Java developers to work with The Session’s API.
- The Craic
- An app for iPhone and iPad for searching across multiple online tune collections.