Real Player

Real Player

Hi folks,

I’m not totally au fait with the ins and outs of "Real Player". My question is…..e.g. when I play a program from the "Ceili House" archive, is there any facility on RP for saving these recordings.

I ask because the RTE archive is only for the past three years and I think certain earlier recordings will be deleted and replaced with more current ones.

Cheers !

Re: Real Player

Cheers Feargal, I’ll check those links out later.

Audacity is free, and if you set the input pulldown to "Stereo Mix" you can record off anything playing from your computer’s speakers. Once saved as an audacity file, you can then do neat tricks like slowing it down, correcting the pitch (some stuff is recorded sharp to make it brighter) etc. YOu can also highlight sections of a tune, slow them down and loop them — just don’t save them that way or else save under a new name, cause otherwise you’ll get a multi-tempo file.

Posted by .

Thanks Kate,

When you say "record off anything playing from speakers"…it wouldn’t make any difference if my headset is plugged in, or would it ? Sounds like a convenient tool.

Many of these computer based recording programs let you choose from where you want to record.

In Audacity you can select ‘What U Hear’ which means anything coming through the speakers,(headphones too) will be recorded.

My soundcard (Creative Extigy) has a program that lets you do this as well. You might check out the features that came with the soundcard on your computer.

Roger

Thanks Rogfox! I have the same Creative Soundcard, but never realized I could use it this way (to record streams, etc.)

After seeing your comment, I just spent the last few hours playing with it. Works great for this purpose!

Zhenya

There’s a program called HiDownLoad which can download realplayer streams, Shareware you can try it out on 30 days before you have to buy it. That”s 30 seperate days , ie one day a week for 30 weeks

http://www.streamingstar.com/hidownload.htm

Neater than audacity, is to record directly to mp3 from the stereo mixer with Mp3DirectCut, it will also edit the mp3 files without further decoding and encoding. Free program with long pedigree. I use it regularly

http://www.mpesch3.de/

nick

When using Stereo Mix for sound input be sure to turn off other sound inputs such as aux,cd player, line in, microphone and phone line, so that you don’t get unwanted sounds mixed up with what you’re downloading. Especially important is to turn off sounds from all computer applications and ALL sounds generated by Windows (or other OS). I had a particularly good streamed download ruined once by the words (intoned in a good US accent) "Printing started … Printing finished") overlaying a section of the recording. A member of my family had used the printer and the computer loudspeaker had been turned off. That voice still came through on the Stereo Mix input.

Goddamnit I see that this whole "sharpening-the-pitch-in-the-studio-to-make-the-sound-brighter" talk is STILL going on! THEY TUNE UP A HALF-STEP!!! For strings this is easily done and for other instruments like free reeds, they play instruments that are set up to sound a half-step sharper than concert pitch. It’s not that difficult a concept to wrap your head around…at least it shouldn’t be.

Posted by .

In other words they’re playing sharp before any recording starts…it has NOTHING to do with studio tricks! Hopefully this can be put to rest now.

Posted by .