Help me to find this tune

Help me to find this tune

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to find the source (ABC or dots) of a reel that appears in Paul McGrattan’s Frost is all over as Sailor’s Return. Paul says he learnt it from Hammy Hammilton.

I did my research and found a completely different tune with the same name. I also found Eileen Curran is another name for SR, but EC is also different from the one I’m looking for.

Can anyone help??

Re: Help me to find this tune

Toni, I don’t have the McGrattan cd in front of me, but Breathnach gives a Sailor’s Return in his 2nd volume of tunes that’s different from Eileen Curran. I’ll post it to the tune section.

Also beware that Sailor’s Return/Eileen Curran gets played in different keys (G dorian being the most common at sessions I’ve been too, but I’ve also heard it in E dorian, D dorian, and even "major" versions which make it sound like a completely different tune).

Posted .

P.s.

Breathnach’s setting is more widely known as the Sailor’s Farewell.

Posted .

Will. I think the version I’m talking of is in Gmaj (could be G dorian though). I’ll check Breathnach number II although I could swear I already did.

Toni, do a search for the Bellharbour Reel posted here by josh Kane some time ago and see if that’s the tune you’re looking for. It’s the same as Breathnach gives for The Sailor’s Farewell (with Sailor’s Return as an alternate title), and happens to be in G major.

Posted .

Thanks a million Will. That’s exactly the tune !!