Mornington Crescent (alias the Lark in the Morning)

Mornington Crescent (alias the Lark in the Morning)

For openers I offer:

The Congress reel

NB polkas in A are wild.

Re: Mornington Crescent (alias the Lark in the Morning)

You may have to explain this to our transatlantic cousins, in fact, anyone outside of the UK.

Posted by .

Carolan’s Concerto (in the original F)

If huffing is allowed, Toss The Feathers.Get out of that!

Cat That Ate the Candle (People’s Gambit Declined)

Posted by .

In that case,The Mountain Road

Made Behind the Bar??????

close Batlady but I think you’ll find that the Lateral Move Principle would make The Mouse in the Mug a slicker Move (although thats more a point for style)

Well !! Is some decent sort explain or at least give us a link if done before. Or is it a closed shop ? :-)

ummm….this reminds me of the kids playing Fanny Dooley…I’m a little slow on the uptake, but I think I have a sufficiently nasty mind….

Strathfoyle- its no closed shop. Radio 4 opened it long ago…..
Enjoy….

Huh?
Wha?

you would have to get up very early in the morning to catch you out what?!!?
NB I think you’ll find the Lateral Move is clearly exempt from the ‘huddle ruling’…….sorry to be such a dampener

so……..
Kiss the Maid behind the Barrel seems to move things along nicely

Although I’m British and living in the UK I’m as baffled as Albrown and other non-UK friends …

I must be on the right track with ‘Paddy goes to London’ and a quick modulation up to ‘A Trip to Camden Town’

Posted by .

Many A Wild Night I had with Samantha, sneaking a peak under her pillows where I learned more than you can find on Wikipedia.

It’s too early to play the Boy in the Bush, isn’t it? Sigh…

Of course!!
Timezones….What a fantastic opportunity
I’d have to go with The Boys of Malin (date line immunity)

Well, then, I invoke the Relativity Clause (I.v.7(c)) and submit The Sailor on the Rock! Hah!

What?

I submit my master stroke of a move - The knotted Cord. Ha!

Although now I wish I hadn’t - I’m stuck in the pinch of Snuff loop for 4 moves. Damn and blast!

The Lark In The Morning!!!!!!

Dafydd
I don’t think you can go out when a previous move is still in a loop…..
Opinions anyone?
But please have another try…..

You’re correct, j d,
he can only move out from a sub-winkled position
unless, of course, it was The Night Before Larry Was Stretched.
I’ll call a futile hurling on him with The Four Shoves.

Posted by .

I’m in.
Jigs have been overplayed so it’s a pair of reels: Gan Aimn (surely wild, although perhaps not as wild as the polkas in A) and Coast of Austria (a good defence is a strong offence).

Soldier’s joy - a double-firtle using the bucharest sidestep gambit…ha, get out of that one!

I think we should leave them all to it, and also revoke their bluegrass, Dixieland, Cajun, and Cape Breton permits.

"The whole thing seems rather ‘sill-ah’ to me"

I’m going to submit the Joys of Marriage (the dreaded Bassett Reverse). Mark, you must now go back 3 intersections. Sorry, pal.

O’Farell’s Welcome to Limerick-I wouldn’t write the other name since this is a family discussion. so there

Posted by .

Batlady
You are very assertive there
That leads nicely into Julia Delaney (sorry to be so personal but what othe option was there!!)
I’m still stunned by the Basset Reverse - don’t you know its still morning!!

Ermm…..

Baker Street?

(Ok, I know it’s a song, but….)

I don’t know if you are accepting Nids but here goes for a Triple Nid. The Farting Badger (known now as The Concertina Reel)

C,mon Danny Boy, you’ll have to do better than that. I, however, simply can’t do better than Julia Delaney.

Have a nice one babe x.

Excellent play here - I’m very impressed.

Seeing as we appear to be playing Woodcott’s Rules (1872 illustrated edition) I’ll plump for:

Man of the House

Posted by .

It is not above my station so I will go by tube to Seanamhac.

wow - going well here

Using Stovold Appendix 3 (Loose Association Convention) I will go to Upstairs in a tent…….

PS Thank you curlew - day started well and getting better… x

Ok, What about:

Liverpool (Street) Hornpipe
Return to Camden Town
Earl’s Court Chair
Swiss Cottage in the Glen
Golder’s Green Ring
Green Park Gates
Micho Russell Square
Seven Sisters
Darby’s Farewell to London Bridge
Collier’s (Wood)
Over the Moorgate to Maggie
Shepherd’s Bush Hey
Paddy on the Turnpike (Lane)
The Victoria (H/pipe)….

…and so on..

Having delved deep into the archive, and realising that the hungarian veto has not yet been played, I tender Farewell to Ireland.

In an effort to drag this archaic game into the 21st century, I will play The Kid on the Mountain Bike.

Difficult to see clearly here with all the covention combinations, so, Fasten the Leg in Her

I think I can wriggle out of that one Ian, thanks to Sugarfoot Jack for reminding us we are playing to Woodcots (1872) rules which if I’m not mistaken allows petty-fogging therfore, (and I’ll think you will enjoy this little irony) - Boil the Breakfast Early.

I believe I’m the first to notice Key Maniac Lad’s intentions in a move that I admit initially looked to me as over simplistic, but upon closer examination makes the Da Vinci Code seem like Seasame Street’s Illustrated Alphabet Book.
Instead of passing, therefore, which might be the choice play in some circles (remember the Taj Mahal debates), I am offering Tripping Up the Stairs (no punch backs).

No, you were right first time, ian. Just an over-simplistic succession of cheap puns.

But mind you - it worked.

Hmm.

I think we just found out where the regulars went and until I find the BBC’s Radio 4, I don’t think it is safe to follow.

This has all the hallmarks of a virus. Someone has obviously hacked Jeremy’s ITM server.

Liam

Ian, that prompts me to use the Transparent Middle-Eastern Ploy: Trip to Pakistan.

…which then takes me further east… right round the world, in fact, and back to Wales with Cerrig Y Rhyd.

I claim Mackenzie’s Lumps, the 1932 appendix to the rules, in support, and there’s precedent for this (just in case anyone’s going to send me back three stations again!!)

There are some daft buggers round here, so; Lather the Wattle.

Ah - the wattle, difficult to get out of that one - and well played g pete, but seeing as how a wattle is seldom blue I think I can safely follow with Bang Your Frog On The Sofa.

Hey! You can’t use the Upholstry Defense until the penalty rounds are resoved, clunk. I think we have to deduct on Amphibian Credit from your side.

Only after dealing with the Banks of Ireland.

Oho. Podachevski’s defence. My Former Wife.

Use of the oPod at such a late stage is unfathomable.
I close with Off She Goes, without prejudice.

Posted by .

Alas, my last Amphibian credit, I have to fold. I leave this contest with head held high, tis better to have played and lost than never to have played at all.

Leaves stage left, sobbing quietly.

Perhaps it is now time to invoke Napoleon’s Inverse Hyperbole Gambit, so , Paddy’s gone to France.

Isn’t it time to wind this up with the annual ball? Ah, there are some late arrivals: Mr and Mrs Bow and their communist son, Fidel. And here comes Mr and Mrs Band and their delightful daughter, Kylie. Pray welcome Mrs Rist and her daughter, Gita, accompanied by her dad, Gad…

Can we welcome Mr & Mrs Whistle and their daughter Penny.

Can we also welcome Mr & Mrs Bates and their son ……, no we won’t let their optically-challenged son in. Old jokes of a gratuitous nature might upset him.

And who is this knocking at the door?
The knocking is in no particular rhythm and is getting faster ………. yes, its the bodhranisti.

Please welcolme Mr and Mrs Ranbasher and their noisy son Bo.

Mr and Mrs Notdewildroveragain and their daughter Ono.

And all the way from Mali,the well-known griot Toomeni Gitars.

But where are their moves?? I’m curious to see which convention they use in Mali? Post 1872

Posted by .

The session in the barn has it beaten into a cocked hat—even if it frightens the horses.

No, clunk999, I can’t have that, a grown man crying over a few miserable amphibian credits.

You can have two of mine, as all of mine are still in tact. have them with my blessing.

While I’m here I may as well make my pitch…….Creel of Turf, I know it’s a jig, but I’m past caring……………..play on!

Oooh, curlew, very cunning. McClung’s Feint. Haven’t seen that one used in a while. Well….The Boys of 25.

Being new, does Gan Amin count as wild card?? The rules seem to be vague on an un-named piece so before I toss it into the tube, is this playable??

Posted by .

Can you use "The Boys of 25"? Surely that was a disallowed move under the 1872 Hobsons Hop appendix - if there’s a triple Feint then I thought numbers were wild…. damn, actually, just realise that’s a really clever move after all. Very, very clever!!

I counter with "Slieve Galleon Braes" (ps check the rules and you’ll see I’m invoking a Worsnip shuffle)

…and I_Fel, your piece makes it a double-worsnip. Now we’re cooking…

So the 1872 Hobsons Hop appendix allows un-named but written pieces. MMM… if its Gan Amin to your Sleeve Falleon Braes, then it must be a very long oblique…very long indeed. Must consult 1929 Walls codex before my next move. Play on!

Posted by .

I-Fel, it’s better to ask for forgiveness than permission, so I’d normally say go ahead and play…..But, I played Gan Aimn earlier so It’s the redundancy booth for you (put the headphones on). And I know you said "Gan Amin" which could be an unknown tune in A minor, but I doubt it.
Anyhoo, since I’m here, Behind the Haystack.

Actually we’re both wrong but I was wrong first - It’s Gan Ainm.

Curlew! Thanks for the credits, most kind.

Back in the game - and with the very sage "better to ask for forgiveness etc" ringing in my ears I throw down - the Kesh!

steady, steady, hold your fire……………..

I am in awe (truly) of the mighty plays going on here.

Worsnips, even double worsnips…. where will it end?

I can’t help but feel that the Dewsbury Slam will offer a moment of light relief and therefore I submit (humbly)

Father O’Grady’s Trip to Bocca.

And I seem to recall (correct me if I’m wrong) that spontaneously giving amphibian credits to aid another players distress automatically gets a double wild in the next round (but only in a related key)

After Julia’s last comment i feel I have to change from my original thought of invoking the Transposed Key Syndrome as it would probably clash with the Double Wornsnip and create the dreaded Viking Vortex theory of Harald "Hairy Breeks" Ragnarson.(N.Conquest 1066 edition). So I will now play my Joker………….. The Kinnegad Slashers.

Aaaaaagh. I am initiating the Confused Genre Round (Reactionary Rules Appendix "B.i.(c)). Music For a Found Harmonium. I think that this is legal because it is covered by the Burke Dispensation.

Which Burke are we talking about here? Because as you know three generations went completely mad playing this game 5 nights a week, all had different rules.

The Barking Burkes of Balinspittle - that could be a tune, and therefore I submit it under the Concord of the Ninth Spleen (mild bumps)

OK- I’m mad! Can’t play cuz it was done before-this is on your heads-all of you!!! Morrison’s- There-done!

Even if it was done before, the Evanston codicil of 1955 allows use of same tune when played on different days… so there… LOOK it up- I dare you!!!

Better yet, Morrison’s to Lilting Banshee- doubles!!! NANANAN!!

The heat of the game… sorry about the outburst of emotion…

Posted by .

Ever since Father Kelly discovered the codicil to Stovold’s will at Harvard in the neglected papers of his (Stovold’s) great nephew I’ ve been itching to use the move he (Stovold) described that we now know as Smash the Windows. (The Smith branch of the Stovold family came to the Green Fields of America in 1952.) So, in honor of that discovery, I move us from Cambridge, Mass. to Los Alamos, skipping thru Chicago on the way. Please note that it is An Impossible Rule to move only one station at a time when using Roaring Jelly.

And, I believe, no one can get from Ashley Pond to The Pond in less than three months, much less one move.

Two can play this game (the "sneer" emoticon which would make this remark particularly humorous because James Cagney-like will appear only on the screens of those in the inner circle of J#1).

cj

Posted by .

My sorry head spins, cj. I can only reply with O’Carolan’s Conjecture: Captain O’Kane. Your citation of the Stovold codicil is problematic. I think the Smash the Windows move has been misinterpreted over the years.

Got you!! By the Woman of the House- your move

Posted by .

Excellent move I_Fel, since I’ve never considered myself a lady.

Your spinning head, Batlady, reminds me that I think Smash the Windows was legitimatized in America by Dorothy as she left Kansas. And while I greatly admire Captain O’Kane (we play it as a waltz) there was a very clever move you proposed earlier, but thought perhaps it was too early, that might be quite appropriate now, hm?

And did anyone notice that Ian Clarke, many moves ago, was *not* Tripping Up the Stairs, but Tripping *down* the stairs while facing backwards? That little shortcut could get him east of Peoria before the tornadoes tear up the Railroad Paddy’s on. Too bad I didn’t catch him before 4 moves had passed, or I would have invoked Dennis Murphy’s Slide to send him to the Top of Cork Road. What a lark that would have been! Oh no, have I made a slip jig that would allow someone to Lark in the Morning in 5?!? That would be Nine Points of Roguery! :-( Forgive me all, forgive me -

cj

Posted by .

Haven’t got time to play, I’ve promised to take Samantha for her flute lesson with the elderly librarian. He’s pleased with her progress but says she needs to work on her embouchure. Must rush.

Well, it looks like our little game is nearing it’s close. Nice one jd it’s been fun. I am going bow gracefully out with

‘The Sword in the Hand’

(Now we can get back to what our favourite bands are and which is the best session tune etc).

Bye.

Well it looks like I’ll not need the extra amphibian credit you so generoulsy gave me so I’ll send it over with a wee nip for the road and how about - Kilarney Boys of Pleasure.

A fine game now that I memorized all the rules and the addenda

Posted by .

Just back from our session and still feeling inspired, so how’s about

‘When Sick it’s Tea You Want’

Now there’s an opportunity I can’t resist. It can only lead to (via the harlem shuffle second time running)
THE LARK IN THE MORNING…..
ANd thank you all very very much…….
Cheddar gorge anyone??
JD

Mornington Crescent ( alias 4 Minutes 33 Seconds)

Don’t download the MIDI whatever you do!

Posted by .