Translation, please

Translation, please

Hi, could someone translate the title of the slow air, Raca Brea mo Chinn please. Thanks!! Also, what is the song about??

Athena

Posted by .

Re: Translation, please

Is it meant to be Irish? The spelling looks like some class of phonetics. If you can find original (Irish) spelling I’m sure someone here could help you.

Posted by .

It’s Irish alright and the title is the one that I’ve seen on the recordings of Seán Ó Riada and others such as Séan Ó Sé. I haven’t a clue what raca is but otherwise it’s "the fine _ of my head". Answers on a postcard!

bald patch?

Sorry Conan ;-)

Postcard from Australia

I don’t speak Irish but Fiddler’s Companion translates the title as "The Pretty Hair Comb". Go here: http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/RAA_RAJ.htm. So comb as in like a small rake, presumbably?

That’s exactly right - literally "The pretty rake for my head"!?

Or more literally "Rake Pretty My Head"

"An Raicín Álainn" is a song "The Beautiful Comb".

The translation of Raicín is literally "little rake".

There is a recording of the song I allude to by Lasairfhíona Ní Chonaola (pronounced Lassereena knee Coneela) on the album of the same name "An Raicín Álainn".

It might be related to the air.

Brianx

Dow now you know why I’m referred to by my so-called Glaswegian pals as "Digestive biscuit head". I think it’s quite clever considering it’s from a crowd of low-brow weegie bollixes.

Sorry. Misprint. Last name should be pronounced Honeela!

Bx

Thanks, everyone!!

Posted by .

The song has been recorded by Anne Mulqueen on Briseann an Duchas with the Irish and a translation. It’s a typical Irish love song of the kind where the man encounters the girl and heartbreak results on one part or the other. A comb is mentioned in some of the verses which seem to incompletely tell a story so these are probably the surviving verses of a longer tale.

Slán