Paddy O’Brien (Offaly)

Paddy O’Brien (Offaly)

I only know of 3 compositions of his - Small Hills Of Offaly, Antrim Rose, Sarah’s Delight. Small Hills is one of my fave tunes of all time, and I’m looking for more of his tunes. Anyone think of any more?

Re: Paddy O’Brien (Offaly)

Please keep on topic and don’t confuse with P O’B Nenagh. I’ve got his book. Ta.

I had a look at that this morning and it looks absolutely fantastic. It’s very, um, expensive though 🙁

Paddy wrote a sweet polka we play here, "Mike Coogan’s". It’s on Chulrua’s - Barefoot at the Alter - Track 6. Mike was a friend of Paddy’s and a past president of the Hibernians. We picked up this tune at the request of the hosts of our local AOH sessions. http://www.daytonaoh.org/mikecoogan.htm

I’ll post it in the tune section later today.

The Tune Collection is indeed fantastic, and definitely worth the money. It contains lots of rare tunes, and excellent settings of more common tunes, all played in a straightforward manner for ease in learning.

Leafing through my copy, I see the following compositions not mentioned already, all of which are reels:

The Lord of Ballinaleck, Paddy Murphy’s Wife (3rd part by Paddy), O’Brien’s Tower, The Yellow Tinker (3rd part by Paddy), The Gosling, Making the Hay, The Foxhunter’s Chorus, Sarah’s Delight, The Policeman’s Request, The Man Behind the Plow, The Sligo Damsel, The Man from Milltown, The Journeyman’s Reel, The Poor Man’s Fortune, Frank Maher’s.

There are some other compositions on Paddy’s various recordings—one I remember offhand is the clan march "The Wee Folks’ Revenge," which he joined with his set-dance version of Carolan’s "O’Reilly from Aithcairne."

Wow, I didn’t think there’d be that many! I bet they’re nice tunes too. Hmm. Maybe I’ll have to write Santa a nice letter this Christmas 🙂

BTW thanks for taking the trouble to write out that list.

Oh, I looked longingly at that tune collection when Chulrua played at the local festival. [Wipes drool off chin]

Yeah, I would take the CD set instead of the pony I’ve been asking for all these years.

I could ask him for a list, but I suppose you would want a CD and all the notes too? We learned some nice polkas from him…the Wooden City Polkas I think he called them. Those are on the CD with Jamie…

https://thesession.org/recordings/909

Posted by .

Paddy wrote a tune for Frank Maher the box player from Newfoundland, or is there someone else of that name?

Yes, it’s that Frank Maher. The description says:

380. Frank Maher’s Reel

It was long after I composed this reel that I decided to name it after the St. Johns, Newfoundland accordion player. The idea came to me after a phone chat with Frank, because several such calls served as a means of keeping in touch with music making and because many times we traded tapes in the aftermath of our phone conversations.

Here’s a pretty complete list of Paddy O’Brien (Offaly) compositions:

1. The March of the Jacobites
2. The Blackman’s Reel
3. The Wooden City Polkas
4. The Monk’s Wedding — reel
5. The Gosling — three-part reel
6. The Girls of Knocknagow — single jig
7. The Wee Folks’ Revenge — walking march
8. The Wooden City Hornpipe
9. Mike Coogan’s Polka
10. The Prairie Lassie — slip jig