Need a Dminor tune suggestion

Need a Dminor tune suggestion

I’m looking for a tune to pair up with a song. I’m doing a version of The Cruel Sister (aka Twa Sisters… many versions in this family of the song). The melody is pretty much as The Pentangle recorded it years ago, the lyrics my own adaptation. Anyway, the fiddle player I am doing it with wants to use Rocky Road To Dublin as the instrumental break and it just grates against me as I know the lyrics to the Rocky Road To Dublin… doesn’t seem to have the right fit to a murder ballad, and I think enough people hearing it will also think it is incongruous.

Does anyone have suggestions of another Dm tune we could use for the instrumental between verses of Two Sisters?

Thanks for any ideas you might have.

Alice

Re: Need a Dminor tune suggestion

How about the "Devil Went Down to Georgia" or "Dunmore Lasses"
-dogma

Posted .

How about "Walls of Liscarrol"? I agree, you shouldn’t do "Rocky Road to Dublin" Even if only one person in the audience recognizes it and knows the words. There are plenty of other tunes to pick from…

Posted by .

Found it… the Glasgow, perfect

Well, thanks to Jeremy’s handy search option for tunes, which I’ve only used on titles before, I realized I could search all Dm reels in the database. The Glasgow will fit my needs well, I think.

I appreciate the other responses.

Alice

Julia Delaney

Posted by .

there was a link last week to east clare fiddlers with six d minor tunes in notation…..

Posted by .

Re: Need a Dminor tune suggestion - not?

Are you sure that a strong story line such as in this song needs it? I would think not . I don’t see the need for a tune with this song , myself - the STORY is the important thing, and sticking a tune in the middle or at the end would only be a distraction. Will it really make the arrangement better and add to the tale?

Posted by .

Thanks for your point of view, Kenny. I think it is a good one. If it was my choice I would do the song on its own but including the fiddle player has influenced the decision on how to do the song. I think I will suggest doing the song and tune separately but next to each other in the set list.