Young People

Young People

I only posted this because I got so fed up reading the ‘Old People’ title over & over again in Comments! At my age - we don’t like to be reminded!

But seriously, I recently started a thread on another forum about a certain Scottish band who dress up like extras on the Braveheart movie & who claimed they were Scotland’s best live band & later that they were probably the best live band in the world!

This thread trawled on for ages, but out of it came an interesting discussion on what everyone found ‘entertaining’ about a traditional music concert.

There is of course a place for repartee between sets & songs but once the music starts, do we really need to see folks prancing around the stage & leaping around the hall in costume, or do we need the musicians to at least wobble their heads, feet, arms, & any other bits that wobble in time to the music, or do we prefer them to appear as if they are concentrating on what they are playing and just modestly tapping a foot to the music?

I personally go to hear good music & don’t particularly like being distracted by circus performances - but then I’m an - ‘old people’!

What is your preference?

Re: Young People

Oh yes, & this - especially for Aidan Crossey - although he probably wrote it?!
[ Thanks Jaff ]

You can play your Mandolin any time of the month.
Mandolins don’t have parents.
Mandolins don’t whine… unless you want them to.
You can share your Mandolin with your friends.
Mandolins don’t care how many other Mandolins you’ve played
Mandolins don’t care how many other Mandolins you have.
Mandolins don’t care if you look at other Mandolins.
Mandolins don’t care if you buy Mandolin magazines.
You’ll never hear, "Surprise, you are going to proud father of a new
Mandolin" unless you go out to buy one yourself.
If your Mandolin is flat you can fix it.
Your Mandolin doesn’t care if you never listen to it.
Your Mandolin won’t care if you leave up the toilet seat.
You don’t have to be jealous of the guy who works on your Mandolin.
If you say bad things to your Mandolin, you don’t have to apologize before
you play it again.
You can play your Mandolin as long as you want and it won’t get sore.
You can stop playing your Mandolin as soon as you want and it won’t get
frustrated.
Your parents won’t remain in touch with your old Mandolin after you
dump it.
Mandolins don’t get headaches.
Mandolins don’t insult you if you’re a bad player.
Your Mandolin never wants a night out with the other Mandolins.
Mandolins don’t care if you’re late.
You don’t have to take a shower before you play your Mandolin.
If your Mandolin doesn’t look good you can refinish it or get new parts.
You can play your Mandolin the first time you meet it, without having
to take it to dinner, see a movie, or meet its mother.
The only protection you have to wear when playing your Mandolin is a
decent pick.
When in mixed company, you can talk about what a great time you had
the last time you played your Mandolin.

Ptar, I think you had better rethink that last phrase. I think most people will be really put off by you talking about what a great time you had with your Mando last night. You might need to consider some therapy along with ‘C’ who has developed a Fontaholic Syndrome.
BTW does your Mandolin like a bit of leather as well :) - Strap that is.

Don’t worry Donough, I think most people here already believe I need therapy!

"BTW does your Mandolin like a bit of leather as well" - well actually no, but I do - on my Concertina that is :-)

Yeah, concertinas can be quite kinky sometimes…

Posted by .

I liked that thing on Mandolins, but I don’t appreciate you talking about my sister that way (her name is Amanda Lynne… seriously!)

Have you ever seen any Shooglenifty, Peatbog Fairies or Croft No 5 concerts? It’s entertainment. These bands are also very technically good but their stage show is a huge factor to why I would go and see them live.

Young People - huh!
"Why can’t they be like we were
"Perfect in every way?
"Oh, what’s the matter with kids today ?"
( from Bye Bye Birdie )

Yay! But preening, that’s a different matter.

"Do we expect them to look like they are concentrating on what they are playing?"
Sounds like some Scottish bands where someone waggles an ear and everyone starts together until someone moves an eyebrow and the band all finish together. They sit there in deadly seriousness in-betweeen.

Sorry, Guernsey Pete cross-posted. Of course performers should show enthusiasm, otherwise the audience might as well be listening to a CD or they should be hiding behind a curtain.

What are we talking about? Am I delusional, or did Ptarmigan hijack his own thread?

There are some absolutely fantastic bands musically who have absolutely no stage presence-let’s say, Solas (and they have more stage presence than most!). There are also wonderful live bands whose music is sub-par-like Gaelic Storm.

There are few bands who are fantastic both live and in a CD player. I’ve never seen Dervish live, but I’ve been led to believe that they are one such band. Great Big Sea also comes to mind.

To be a good live band, so far as I can see, you have to not only show enthusiasm, but also involve the audience. Get them to clap. Get them to dance. Get them to sing along, if there’s a song. (I mean, teach them the words; I’m not suggesting that you incorporate McIrish songs into your repoirtoire).

A concert or gig shouldn’t be something you see, it should be something you do.

Yes, is Parmy barmy?

Core, I am so slow, out-posted again.
Of course, Zazzaliss, you are absolutely right, a live performance should be an memorable experience. An interaction that grabs you and that you take away home with you.

Ptar’s post just eloquently illustrates what I always suspected — an instrument of whatever sort is better than a man.

And mine is definitely into leather straps.

You guys always make me laugh. I am a bit anonomous here in Scandinavia… One of the reasons I can be a musician and a musican only is because I know we never have to retire! I knew a harper (my instrument) who was still going strong at 82. That’s going to be me, just wait and see!!

Glad to hear it Suzique. Once you realise that a lot of these daft threads are just a bit of, tongue in cheek, light hearted provocative fun, then they can turn out to be a good laugh.

Now & again someone gets the wrong idea & takes posting quite literally & the slanging matches start - but they can be a good laugh too.

Oh & don’t worry about being anonymous, there are lots of folks with no name here, & even if you arrive with a name, these guys soon leave with none! :-)

Oooops! Please apologise to Amanda for us Natharious, rest assured I shall flog the author within an inch of his life for being so insensitive! :-)

‘Bye Bye Birdie’ Pete (?) - pray tell, who sang that little gem? Westlife, Cliff Richard or Van Morrison? Either that or it was waaaay before my time! :-)

Geoff said "someone waggles an ear and everyone starts together until someone moves an eyebrow and the band all finish together. They sit there in deadly seriousness in-betweeen" - that sound anything like those "Shooglenifty, Peatbog Fairies or Croft No 5 concerts" PJA? :-)

What’s wrong Al, can’t you handle a two dimensional thread then?
If not, then I guess you must be in the ‘oldies’ camp then? :-)
Och, & anyway, if a fellow can’t hijack his own thread, who can?

Hi Ho Silver, Wa Hey! If only I could claim that the Mandolin piece was down to my own eloquence, but sadly no, it was sent to me from down under - Old Scraper’s territory in fact!

On the subject (the first one), if the music is good so is the concert. A bit of stage presence just adds to the experience. Of course, stage antics are no excuse for bad playing.

Posted by .

Zazzaliss - that is a good idea, but it is not a rule. think of it like college. some classes are best taught socratically, through student imput and questions, while others are best taught through lecture. the vast majority are inbetween, with lecture and participation. the same goes for any musical venue. some are all about the audience, and some are very stoic and serious. the majority are inbetween. it depends on the intended demographic and the personality of the musicians.

Posted by .

I have broken so many lamps inside my house by doing that, I am now only allowed to play outside.

Posted by .

i think that you need both stage presence and good music to really enjoy a concert. - a little different from Solas, but Glengarry Bhoys play some trad tunes, and it is more exciting, because they don’t just stand there and play. also- Eileen Ivers has good stage presence and great music.