links to videos

Re: links to videos

thanks…

I particularly enjoyed seeing the 2 younger musicians in class and seeing how intent the classmates were on listening..well, almost not like "listening:, but sort of being in the moment…great stuff!!!

Yeah, I love those school kids. Very relaxed, confident, and non-pretentious unlike the other one.

A couple more you tube videos:

MAITH AN BUACHAIL. WITH MAEVE Ó HARE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8db_RRCf4Y&search=IRELAND%20ARAN%20TORY%20GALWAY%20GAELTACHT%20IRISH%20DUBLIN%20CORK%20CLARE%20BLARNEY

Caoimhin O’Raghallaigh, Maeve O’Hare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyI_Rnc1hjc

Sharon Shannon in bad quality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHbZ4h-SWWM&search=

Check out the posters’ profiles and playlists, you’ll find more, not all of it is good though…

Saving YouTube videos …
If you play these streaming videos on theYouTube site you should find they are saved in your browser cache. (I use Firefox).
Open your browser cache BEFORE you quit your browser (because your cache may be set up to clear itself when you come offline) and look for a very recent large file. You should be able to identify it by the date and time.
Drag it to your desktop or other convenient folder and give it the extension FLV. You may also want to rename it to something more meaningful than the random characters you may find the browser has given it. You’ll then need a FLV player to run it.
Useful applications for viewing FLV files are,
VLC Media Player
FLVPlayer
Riva FLV Player
Occasionally you may find that a FLV player doesn’t work properly with a particular FLV file (it depends on the FLV source, I expect), so it’s useful to have two or three of these FLV players to hand.
Riva also provide Riva FLV Encoder which can be used to convert FLV files to MPG or WAV (albeit with an inevitable slight loss of quality).

Wow, the Caoimhin O’Raghallaigh clip was great. His fiddle playing sounds so distinctive, perhaps his tuning or use of double-stops when playing…at times it sounds like American Old Timey. I know he was influenced by the Sliabh Luachra fiddlers but in recordings I have of them their playing doesn’t quite sound like Caoimhin.

Posted by .

Yep I agree 21,Caoimhin’s playing did it for me too!I might sound ignorant but I’ve never heard of him before.Does he play in bands?Are there any recordings?

Caomhín plays with Mick O’Brien, the Dublin piper, on a wonderful recording called Kitty Lie Over. He also has a solo CD called Turas go Tír na n-Óg.

What’s the tune he’s playing?

Bob, that’s Rolling in the Ryegrass! Amazing, isn’t it? Such a simple ‘kids" tune can be turned into a gem by a great musician. He’s still 26, I believe.

Definitely cool! As 21 said, it does have a touch of American old-time sound, yet it’s definitely Irish.

He played Rolling in the Ryegrass at our SoCal Tionol concert in 2005. He prefaced that tune with "my favorite tune of all time". I should have sat in on his class but was in Mick O’Briens piping class-next time. He apprenticed to Geoff Woolf, the piper maker in Miltown and was doing a degree in high energy physics or some such thing at UCD. Learn to slur into the beat-among other things

Posted by .

the tune is from the spanish group " Mägo de Oz "