Favorite Songs

Favorite Songs

Hi, I’m in a fledgeling band and would like to know some really nice songs. I like what some bands do, where they put a song and a tune with the same chordal progression together, but the tune is driving and the song is pretty and slow. Any input would be helpful. Also, if possible, tell me where you heard or learned it from.

Re: Favorite Songs

What kind of music do you play? Trad? Folk? Rock? Something else?

If you’re familiar with classic rock, the perfect example is probably "Question" by the Moody Blues, with its driving beginning and end, and its slow, pretty middle.

I play in an irish band, that’s why i’m on this site.

If you don’t know any songs, what are you playing in your Irish band?

Are you currently an instrumental band playing only trad tunes, but you want some songs to go with the tunes?

Is your vocalist male or female?

Will you be performing the songs for paid gigs?
If so, it’d be good to have a few up your sleeve that people are likely to know.

whiskey in the jar / wise maid D
crack was 90 in the isle of man / miss mcleods G
ride on / morning dew Em
rare old times C
when will we be married / tenpenny money Am
dirty old town
roads of kildare / waltz
raggle taggle gypsy / kerry reel Em
the ferry men / high reel A
black is the colour Bm

These will do for pubs but you may find them too cheesy for an audience that rate themselves as the elite of essential irish music listening. You know the type, they will keep asking you for clannad & planxty songs not because they actually like them but more of a case that they consider it to be a more middle to upper class of irish music as opposed to the dubliners, waterboys, pogues music. Having said all that christie moore closed the planxty set with raggle taggle gypsy so it cant all be sh*te’n onions.

Much as we might dislike singing them, every Irish band should be ready for requests of certain old favorites—Whiskey in the Jar, The Wild Rover, Molly Malone, Danny Boy, the Black Velvet Band, the Wild Colonial Boy. Another nice simple one that has not been overdone in my neck of the woods is Welcome Paddy Home. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different things during instrumental interludes. Sometimes, a speeded up aire will sound nice at song tempos, sometimes you might want to play just the A part or B part of a tune between verses, lots of choices available.

My current favourite is 16 Fishermen Raving (sung by Christy Moore). It went down quite well at our last gig. We added an interlude with a Russian dance tune (Katyusha) played on clarinet and accordion.

Posted by .

Sinead O’Connor has a CD of sean nos with a lot of the old classics mentioned by AlBrown. Strongly recommend even if you’re not a fan of hers.

It also depends what instruments you’ve got and wether you are planning to just let the singer sing and then play.

if you want something totally unaccompanied - a stor mo Chroi is wonderful.

Other wise - Love is Pleasing ( I do it in F) is both sort of popular and trad. I agree about knowing the most popular ones just incase you have any requests. I find Black Velvet band goes down really well but also Fear a Bhata as well which is strange as the version I do is in English with a scots gaelic chorus. Some of the songs that Planxty and the Bothy band made popular are also useful, particularly - do you love an apple or Cunla.

J

Tons of discussion on this topic
at http://www.mudcat.org/threads.cfm
You can spend months just reading what has already been suggested over the years along with enlightening history about the songs and lyrics themselves.
You could start with this old thread,
using tunes with songs
http://www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=48236
search the forum and start a thread of your own if need be.
Keep singing!

In my band, I do this with several songs. The first one I chose to mix with a tune is William Taylor with Swinging on a Gate.

Alice

Alice: Ditto on the Mudcat link.

Everyone: Good suggestions so far.

Anna: Aren’t you glad to be on a site where the mods don’t delete every post containing a link as self-promotional?

Clif: I hope I wasn’t out of line for asking what type of music you play. Personally, I’m anything but pure-drop Irish trad player, but I do play "Celtic" instruments and occasionally do participate in Irish sessions and jams, and this site is a greate resource for that.