Instruments that share common DNA

Instruments that share common DNA

A previous discussion about our instruments being family members spurred this thought:

About 25 years ago I got hold of a particularly nice flitch of curly maple that has subsequently gone into the building of my mandolin, one of my fiddles, guitar, and concertina, so my instruments really ARE family since they all came from the same tree. I built the stringed instruments, but Frank Edgely built my concertina using the maple I provided for the box. Fortunately, I live close enough to Windsor that I could drive the wood over there and discuss what I wanted directly with Frank, who did a superb job of producing it.

Anybody else have instruments that share DNA?

Re: Instruments that share common DNA

Well, I’ve shared a lot of DNA with my guitars by bleeding on them while changing strings. Does that count?

Butchers wear steel gloves you should get a pair of them . .

Good idea, stew. They’d also come in handy when I comb the tangles out of my cat’s fur.

No, no, no, they’re not related at all, it’s just Intelligent Design…….
But, seriously, where did the maple go in the concertina ? What was the soundboard made of ? Apparently Jeffries’ use a very-close-grained sycamore, which is what gives them their tone, but maple is often what they call sycamore in the lumber yards over here.

The maple was used for the carcass. You can see my concertina at Frank Edgley’s website at

http://www.concertinas.ca/

It’s the one labeled "curly maple" in the pics. I don’t know what was used for the reed pan. Sycamore and maple are basically the same wood.

>No, no, no, they’re not related at all, it’s just Intelligent Design…

Uh oh, I feel another Supreme Court case coming on.

Posted by .

I’ve played with a couple of guys locally who have Edgely serviced instruments. By all accounts he’s among the very best.

As for maple, I love the stuff, though my maple instruments are all of different sources…Canadian guitar, Scottish mandolin, German fiddle…related by flame and that mapleness I’ve learned to love.

I suspect my rosewood guitars are closely related as the same small shop builder made them a year or two apart, and there’s a sameness to them in spite of the difference in string numbers.

As for the spruces, geez, it’s anyone’s guess.

Peace, Mooh.

Posted by .