Micheal O’Dohmnaill’s Style

Micheal O’Dohmnaill’s Style

I have recently discovered the Portland CD by Kevin Burke and Micheal O’Dohmnaill and I love the guitar playing. Of course, the fiddle is great as well but I am primarily interested in the guitar style. Does anyone have any insight to offer regarding Micheal’s style? I believe he’s a DADGAD player. I suspect he capos all over the place but some of the riffs and passing chords are difficult to figure out.

Re: Micheal O’Dohmnaill’s Style

Snapper, if you like ‘Portland’, you’ll probably also like the more recent ‘Reprise’ (Micheal O’ and Paddy Glackin on fiddle).

And ofcourse the other Burke/O’Dohmnaill duo album - promenade

Impeccable control of timing and dynamics, a flair for interesting and surprising chord substitutions and rhythmic variations. But these things are just his tools. What brings it all together is a finely honed sense of ensemble and an artistic sensibility that appreciates subtlety and restraint. Crikeys, I sound like a classical music critic!

>Crikeys, I sound like a classical music critic!

Yes, Bob — I’m afraid you’ve developed a terrible case of criticism.

My advice is to drink heavily and listen to a heavy metal album…or pick up your instrument of choice and start playing!

Posted by .

Thanks for the links, comments and recommendations. I will be searching for "Promenade", "Reprise" and any other examples I can get my ears on because one thing I’m sure of is that listening to more of Micheal’s great playing will do me good.