Tunesets

Tunesets

There are a lot of good tunes posted on this site. What I’m now wondering is which ones everyone thinks go well together. For instance, I think Fig for a Kiss goes into The Butterfly very nicely, and Tam Lin (or Howling Wind if you prefer) is well followed by a nameless reel that I posted here as one of several Gan Ainms. So, what tunes do others here like to run together for a set?

Re: Tunesets

which tunes go together? Depends on the purpose… If one wants to play sets which will draw a response from a listening audience, then a contrast of tunes makes for good sets.

My first good medley is still one of my best, and goes Endearing Young Charms (in D), Harvest Home, Rakes of Mallow, Irish Washerwoman.

Also like to play Swallowtail Jig, Rakes of Kildare, Connaughtsman’s Rambles.

Another good one is Miss Mcleods’, Drowsy Maggie, Devil’s Dream.

Also, Soldier’s Joy, Wind That Shakes the Barley, Whiskey Before Breakfast.

A good way to come up with sets, especially if you want to play them in sessions, is to just play all your reels, or all your jigs, in whatever order they occur to you, regardless of key. Some will flow better than others and you’ll quickly get used to certain patterns, but not being set in stone about which tune comes when will help keep you flexible.

I’ve noticed most slip jigs can be followed by certain jigs for a very effective lift. ( I like Kid on the Mountain followed by Morrison’s). It’s a matter of personal taste. Sometimes I play all the reels I know that start on a G quaver, which sounds boring, but can be very interesting for me as I try to keep them all seperate in my mind and not to slip from one to another unintentionally. Also I know a couple of really powerful ones that keep any set from ennui.

None of my sets are really "set" these days. I like it better that way. When I was in a band, we put sets together through trial and error, too often relying on the ever popular formula of slow tunes to quick, or minor jigs to major. Some modal tunes can be played five or ten times in a row and give the impression of being a solid set if you can switch the accompanying chords from minor to major half way through without changing the tune.

I’m guessing you wanted specifics, so I’ll quit while I’m behind ; )

I agree, too much thought put into a set can kill the ‘seat of the pants’ feel.
I always think the best way to string together a set is to do so in a democratic fasion. In other words ask the person next to you about a tune, & let them come up with the next then so on. that way everybody gets to play their own chestnuts. Also you’ll avoid the risk of playing a tune you only partially know all on your lonesome.
My biggest gripe with one local session is that they have sets ‘set in stone’, one is Tripping Up the Stairs/The Conaughtman’s Rambles/My Darling Asleep another is Mountain Road/Silver Spear these are good sets but I get tired doing it the same every time. Variety is the spice of life & of sessions. My best advice is to try to string tunes together, if it works (which it almost always does) have fun with it & try something else the next time.

I just realised I didn’t answer the question at hand…
Some common sets that I can think of are…
Wise Maid/Joe Cooley’s
Reels
Maid Behind the Bar/Glass of Beer
Morning Dew/Woman of the House
Bonnie Kate/Jennie’s Chickens

Jigs
Trip to Sligo/Tell Her I Am
First Night in America/Apples In Winter

Thanks, Brad. In case clarification is needed, I wasn’t asking for rules to create tunesets or looking for sets that are "set in stone." I just wanted to hear what tunes folks like to play as a set - asking for people’s personal preferences, as a way to get some fresh insights and to get to know people. Brad got it!

-J.

I WAS trying to answer the question of what I think sounds good in a set, but I got really distracted. Sorry Jeff. Most of the tunes I play in sets are Gan Ainm. (I try and try, but the only tunes I can remember the names of are the ones I am in the process of learning.) I’ll think about it some more. I tried putting "Dusty Windowsill" with "Langstrom’s Pony" and then "Jig of Slurs" and that’s kind of fun.

Here’s a few sets we sometimes do,Jeff:
Jug of Punch/Eddie Kelly’s
Paddy Fahey’s(D minory one,if that helps!)/Julia Delaney
Mountain Road/Pretty Peg
Sligo Maid/Congress Reel/Ships are Sailing
Silver Spire/Hunter’s Purse
Jigs: Garret Barry’s/Cliffs of Moher
Dusty Windowsills/Pipe on the Hob/Sean Ryans
I burried my wife/Fraher’s
It is nice to sometimes put together sets on the hoof,usually when you can’t remember what you ‘wanted’ to do.
Dave

I just listened to Kevin Burke and Michael McGoldrick playing Paddy Fahey’s (a lovely setting of it) with the Garret Barry’s/Cliffs of Moher set on Tim O’Brien’s new album Two Journey’s. Really lovely.

Zina