Dividing lines

Dividing lines

Sorry folks, a basic question for most of you, but what does it mean when a tune is divided by lines and double lines like so:
dAF E3 DB,A, D2 E | FGF BAF dAF EFA |
dAF E3 DB,A, D2 E |1 F3 BAF EDC D :|
2 F3 BAF EDC D3 ||
|: d3 f3 a2 f edB | A2 F DFA BAF EFA |
dcd fef a2 f edB |1 A2 F DFA Bdc d3 :|
2 A2 F DFA B/c/dc d ||
Is this part of the whole first part twice and second part twice?
Cheers

Re: Dividing lines

In the above example, the "double lines" end both parts so, for both parts, you play the tune as far as the repeat and then play the same part again but substitute the bars between the repeat sign and the double bar sign the second time. So each part will have a slightly different ending on the repeat.
Hope I’ve explained it clearly!

They’re the bar lines. The ones that seperate the phrases of the tune. For example, a jig is 6/8 time. Therefore there should be 6 quavers (or equivalent timing i.e. 3 quavers, a crotchet and a quaver) in a bar.

The double lines mean the end of a part. Then repeat everything between the 2 colons.

Oops, I hadn’t realised he was talking about the single lines also.
So, jd is right here too.
Incidentally, the 1 and 2 at the start of the final bars( there is only one which is different in this case…sometimes, there may be more) indicate that you play (1) the first time and (2) the second.
It probably looks clearer when you see it in standard notation.

As a bit of a dodgy site reader I prefer to have things written out in full rather than 1,2 endings, is it considered best practice to write the ABC parts as efficiently as possible to keep size down to a minimum?

PP

I’d say yes - it’s obviously more economical, but also I think you can see more clearly the structure of the tune if it’s written out with "1,2 endings"

Just a bit of practice and your eye will soon skip to the "2" ending 2nd time through

A bit more practice should commit the tune to memory and you can chuck away the dots anyway !