"Official" tune sets?

"Official" tune sets?

Hiya, Kids,
Does anyone happen to know if there are "official " tune sets? I’ve spoken with some who say there are, but who can’t actually tell me WHAT they are or where they are to be found, and with some who say ,"No, there aren’t." then, invariably, they follow it up with, "That tune is supposed to be played with this tune!" If there ARE official tune sets, where would I find that information? I’ve been told that the Foinn Seisiun books and CDs are not the final authority on same - by someone in the know - so am not getting far in my research. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a million!
Lauri

Posted by .

Re: "Official" tune sets?

No one will ever admit that there are "official" tune sets.
There will be a knock at the door late one night if you DON’T play the official sets.

There are no "official" tune sets as such. People play different fixed sets in different sessions and places. But as far as I know, these sets of tunes are almost always played together in many places.

The New Copperplate / The Old Copperplate
The Skylark / Roaring Mary
Lady Anne Montgommery / Maude Miller / Molloy’s
Down the Broom / The Gatehouse Maid
Taim in Arrears / Hardiman the Fiddler

I’m sure some of them are in Foinn Seisiun books with another tune attached or one tune left out. I think I know some others, but can’t remember.

There are many other fixed sets of tunes popularised by older generations of musicians, but extremely well-known tunes like Joe Cooley’s and The Wise Maid are played with virtually any other reel in most sessions I’ve attended. The Bothy Band popularised many tunes, but it’s not very fashionable to steal and play the sets as they have recorded.

Well, it actually depends on where you go. Some groups of people might stick to the sets in Foinn Seisiun books or on the Bothy Band recordings. Others might have their own original sets to play in sessions. And some others might play many local Ceili Band’s sets in sessions too. If you go to Corofin in Clare, they still do the old Kilfenora Band’s sets.

I wouldn’t say "official" so much, but instead "universal" tune sets.

Tarbolton / Longford Collector / Sailor’s bonnet
Sligo Maid / Molloy’s Favorite
Humours of Tulla / The Skylark / Roaring Mary
Lady Anne Montgommery / Maude Miller / Boy’s of Ballinahinch
Master Crowley’s / The Rosscommon

I love master crowleys, thats a great tune and it doesnt get played enough. Must start the set with that tonight. Thanks Phantom!! πŸ˜‰

Posted by .

Based on my own experience, it seems to be perfectly acceptable in sessions to play sets as recorded by Michael Coleman. If there are any "official" tune sets, I guess it would be those. On the other hand, as mentioned above, playing sets from groups such as the Bothy Band et al. is definitely frowned upon!

Some of us mere mortals here are known to aspire to worldwide fame, but I see Button has already achieved ‘Universe-al’ fame! Phew

Funny, I’ve not seen any of his sets played on Star Track ….yet!

πŸ˜€

I don’t think they play ITM on other planets… yet. πŸ˜‰

Thank you all! Your help and advice is much appreciated. πŸ™‚

I will include the sets mentioned and will be sure to allow my mastiffs nocturnal free range in the off-chance I don’t get them sorted properly. πŸ™‚

Posted by .

When my wife and I started a little band with some friends, we came up with a set list for the band, with fixed sets so that we could practice our transitions from one tune to the next, and do a little ‘arranging.’ Some of our sets were picked up at local sessions, but some of the matchings we made up ourselves.
What is fun is that some of the sets we matched up ourselves have become the sets we hear at local sessions, because others have picked them up from us and started to use them.

Don’t be a copy-cat - make up your own "official" sets.
Be a sod and play them in reverse order occasionally.

Ah yes, The Old Copperplate into The New one would be a nice idea. It makes more sense.

I actually love to play "official" or "universal" sets in sessions, especially with new people in a new place, or with old friends in regular sessions to warm up.

One of the things I most enjoy with this music is finding tunes that go together nicely. I’ll discover tunes that have a rhyme or a contrast that is pleasing or exciting. Some tunes also seem to serve as introductions to other tunes, or they will have a tension that is released into the next tune. But having said that; I’m also glad to know what some of the "universal sets" are because they come in handy when I’m visiting other sessions or welcoming visitors to ours.

What’s official at one session is obscure at the next. The big names tend to come up with sets that get repeated, but don’t worry - you can string almost any tunes together. I like key changes, Em G D tends to add a bit of lift & set the tunes apart from each other. I also like to put melodic tunes together & play repitive ones in their own sets.

"you can string almost any tunes together"

I’ve heard people make this claim, but the same people have put together some of the worst combinations of tunes and will often crash and burn on the changes. (I’m not saying you do, Mad, just that people I know who make this claim often do.) I think it’s a common misconception. There are many tunes whose inherent rhythm will clash and sound awkward when following certain other tunes. Also, there are tunes that are awkward to get out of because they eat their own tail. You have to find a tune that won’t feel all herky-jerky when you change to it. I think people who make recordings or perform live pay closer attention to these things than you think… it just sounds so natural that you assume they don’t.