the two hornpipes in pirates of the caribbean, dead mans chest

the two hornpipes in pirates of the caribbean, dead mans chest

Does anyone know what the hornpipes are in the film "Pirates of the Caribbean" (Dead man’s Chest)?
They are played in the scene where they are in a bar in tortuga.

Re: the two hornpipes in pirates of the caribbean, dead mans chest

I have a copy of it by the Fuzzy Mountain String Band, and it is called Fisher’s Hornpipe on that cd. I am learning it right now for a lesson on Tuesday.

Is it not Fisher’s and Cronin’s?

Which "Fisher’s"? There are at least three.

The Fisher’s from the link above.

I don’t actually remember hearing two separate hornpipes, but the credits credit Hans Zimmer, the composer of the movie score, with "composing" "Two Hornpipes." Arranging would be more accurate. And did anyone else notice that the hornpipe/hornpipes were played "straight" — as conventionally notated in sheet music, rather than with the dotted notes as played in real life.

I was amused at the reviews that described the hornpipe/s as "a classic sea shanty", or sounding "like a piece of classical dance music copied from somewhere else", or "a little jig. Very nice with the ethnic instruments and all."

We just saw the film last night. We recognized the hornpipe immediately as Fisher’s (Fishman’s, it has a number of other names), so we sat through the credits to see what they say about it. We were surprised to see the hornpipe credited as "Two Original Hornpipes" just like Tracie noticed. I think the "composer" treated (or thought) the A and B parts as (were) two separate tunes. They did play it quite fast, by our standards at any rate. I remember it being played with swing, but as they accelerated it might have lost it. Can’t rightly remember. I have read that this hornpipe is played as a reel (straight that is) in bluegrass circles. Maybe that is what the "composer" was listing to as he arranged the tune.

I have a La Bottine Souriante CD that treats Fisher’s Hornpipe as a reel, so they apparently play it that way in Quebec as well.

the tune in Pirates of the Carribbean 2?

The are playing a jig, half-way through the film. just wondering what the name of it was

you’re leading us round in circles , sir!

i’m sure i originally asked that question in a separate thread. I think the <i>magical merging powers from above</i> are at work

I made an arrangement more like the version featured in the film, expect for three clarinets, as I play the clarinet.
Here it is:
http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/340/hornpipear6.png
I’ll try and get a midi/mp3 of it up here soon

(to access it scroll down to the bottom of that page, wait for a minute as it says and then download)
sorry but its the only free file hoster i could find that worked lol

Here’s the link to the tune:

https://thesession.org/tunes/872

I just picked it up few weeks ago from the movie (documentary) Jean Carignan Violoneux (published by ONF Canada in 1975). It is the last tune. It is fast and with many variations but I came up with something very similar to what MrSporre posted under the link above!