Best Traditional Band

Best Traditional Band

Who in your opinion is the best traditional music band?

Posted by .

Re: Best Traditional Band

The Wolfe Tones, without a shadow of a doubt.

Then Steeleye Span. Because they’re the second best. So they are.

Lunasa

Posted by .

Lunasa. Teada are excellent aswell

grada are very good

It could be that my terminology is a little outdated, but I wouldn’t have considered either the Wolfe Tones or Lunasa a band. In Ireland (in the 1950’s and 1960’s at least), bands (ceili bands) played for ceili dances and competed against each other, etc. Two of the best known ones were the Ballinakill and the Tulla. Then groups like Planxty came along and they performed for audiences, as opposed to dancers. Lunasa follow in this tradition, so I don’t think of them as a band. I don’t think of the Wolfe Tones either as a band (they don’t play for dances) or as a traditional group in the same way that Lunasa is. I would describe them as an Irish Folk Group or as a Ballad Group, because they are mainly a vocal group. The onlly recent group that I’m aware of calling themselves a band is the Brock McGuire Band.
And, hey, I’m not infallible, I’m just throwing in my two bits worth.
Mairtin

And, yes, I think the 3 (Lunasa, Teada. Grada) already mentioned are VG, but there are many others too.
Mairtin

The Band of Gypsies. Superb soloing, brilliant rythym section and explosive live performances. Shame Jimi never attempted The Kesh Jig

Sorry, I meant rhythm, man!

Wasn’t being serious about the despicable Wolfe Tones. Serves me right for being a sarcastic hoor.

Lunasa is certaintly a band, and a great one at that!

Posted by .

top four in my opinion: Flook, Dervish, Lunasa, Rig the Jig

We’re obviously discussing modern bands, cos otherwise the bothy band would steal the prize. I like Kila nowadays (or are they more roots [is there a difference]?) and At First Light with john mcsherry

bohola, beoga, josephine marsh band…?

Diamond Accordian Orange Marching Band!

Not Orange Marching bands traditional bands

Posted by .

He is not a traditional band

Posted by .

Four men & a dog.
but my fav is cruiniu.

Mick Del, Melody Aces, Eileen Reed and the Cadets, Dickie and the Miami, Johnny Quigley, … but seriously another vote for Bohola.
Mairtin

Now call me a bit daft - but why no mention of Altan?

…or Danu?

…. or Turlough Mor ?

fairport convention

I’m sorry for bring slightly off topic but didn’t Arty Mc Glynn ply his trade once in showbands ? Don’t know what put this notion in my head,,,,ah yeah Big Tom,,,,jeebus he was awful 🙂

Danú
Lúnasa
Altan

Justybanjo

Who are Crinniu, never heard of them????

Yes - Arty McGlynn was in a showband… as was Albert Reynolds (the man in charge of Ireland for a wee while)

What about a good orange band …like Max Jaffa

Albert Reynolds was in a showband? Anyone know if he had any talent?

Frozenstiff left out the Daddies of them all, the Clipper Carltons. Between the rock & roll and the jazz they’d do a Michael Gorman/Margaret Barry thing (The drummer was a good trad fiddle player); they also had a lead guitar player who could knock out some great reels!

At First Light
Cappercaille
Planxty
The Bothy Band
Cian
Tamalin
Moving Hearts
Coolfin
Grada

Albert booked showbands for his brother Jim who was in the dance hall business, but, since he can’t sing or play anything, I’d doubt if he ever played or sang in one!

my fav would have to be flooke,dervish,lunsa and then the bothy band

I myself miss Arcady and Deanta. Both great bands, now gone, more’s the pity.

Didn’t Big Tom and the Mainliners do a concert in the US where the audience was mostly junkies who misinterpreted the "Mainliner" name?

I seem to remember hearing they enjoyed it immensely…

Posted by .

ceolgal, there a new band.
my brother Ryan Graham and Siobhan O’Donnell are in it. there are other ones from claire and meath.
my bro is goin down to dublin tomorow to finish the cd.

The Dubliners :P

Ahm…
The Chieftains, i suppose🙂 Don’t ask me, why))) They’re best.
But in a bad spirit i usually listen Silly Wizard.

It has 2 be altan!!!!!!

Stockton’s Wing has to be one of the best.

Ah, yes, Banner, the CC, ah remembah zem well (little bit of Maurice Chevalier there). Now SW. Early SW maybe. Home on hols 20 years ago, dragged my non-trad older bro (RIP) to drive me there, his car. No time on poster, no format, just Stockton’s Wing, the town (Ballindine, I think) and Sunday Night. Went early for 7:30, had to adjourn to the pub. After closing sat in the car, waiting for the hall to open. Opened at 11:30. Music with local band at 12:30, SW arrived at 1:15. Played Solid Rock. They were opening for Ml Jackson in Cork the following night, so getting ready. Hanrahan left and formed The Templehouse Ceili Band shortly after.
Mairtin

Key Manic Lad, Normally I don’t click on links (sorry Ptarmigan), but I clicked on the one above, and have to say, you have found the Rosetta Stone, no, the veritable Holy Grail of Irish Music!
😉

sex pistols, natch. [see mr. rotten’s classic autobio, titled "rotten: no irish, no blacks, no dogs."]

"OLD" Dance Bands:
Lactin Naoifa (Miltown Malbay Ceili Band)
Thatch Ceili Band
Tulla Ceili Band

NEW Dance Bands:
Tulla
Kilfenora
Four Courts
Turloughmore

NON-Dance Bands:
Bothy Band
Stockton’s WIng
Altan
Lunasa

It’s all a matter of preference……………..

I think that Four Men & a Dog are great but there is another band that are also great called Rattle the Boards

Trouble in the Kitchen……..