Piano Vamping

Piano Vamping

I have started the piano and would like to know how to vamp can anyone help

Posted by .

Re: Piano Vamping

Look up "Interview with the Vamper". Really.

Here’s the link for the book Bob mentioned:

http://home.comcast.net/~peterbarnes/pubs.htm

The author is Peter Barnes, who seemingly plays about every kind of folk/trad music in Western Civilization: Irish, English, Scots, Scandinavian, contra, Eastern European…well, maybe not _just_ Western Civilization. He can also do ragtime, blues, classical and, oh, everything.
PS, in addition to piano, he plays a pretty damn good guitar, flute, whistle and clarinet. Damn talented. And a very personable feller besides.

Posted by .

Re: Vamping

Avoid garlic & crucifixes - sharpen teeth - live in coffin during daylight - bite necks at night.

Listen to charlie lennons style of vamping, its the only way to go!!

Listen to the tap Room Trio with John Blake (great piano player). I Started piano vamping about 2 years ago and i found this cd the best one to listen to. If you know your basic chords in simple tunes you can use some of the ornamentation you use in one tune for another in the same key if that makes sence. I know its hard to find piano players as piano vamping is quite a traditional instrument so im glad there was a discussion relating to it. Good luck with it!

As a pianist I find sometimes that "vamping" can be slightly boring on occasion. Sure, it fits in OK with melody instruments and is a useful back-up. But it can be tiresomely unimaginative.

For excellent vampers I’d recommend two from the Northern Isles of Scotland, Violet Tulloch of Shetland (fabulous chords) and Hazel Wrigley (Wrigley Sisters duo) who goes her own highly original way with influences from Shetland and all over (guitarist also).

Violet has an intuitive bond with those she accompanies.