Need help choosing MD player

Need help choosing MD player

My student is looking to buy her first MD recorder/player and I’m hoping for some opinions on the latest devices. She is only 14 and will use this mostly for recording live fiddle music in a fiddle camp setting. Someone recommended the IRiver. Also she wants to spend under $200.

Re: Need help choosing MD player

Hi suzytee. the IRivers are great.

I have recently bought an IRiver T30 mp3 player after much shopping around and I must say I couldn’t be happier with it, especially for the price which was well under US$100.

It’s tiny but the LCD menus and buttons are straightforward and easy to understand. In fact, the recording function is proving a breeze in a crowded and dimly lit session room and the resulting mp3 files are of quite good quality too. Certainly good enough for my puposes ie. uploading to Amazing Slowdowner on my PC and learning the tunes (that’s the hard bit of course).

Anyway, hope that helps in the decision making process?? Good luck.

for 50 bucks more (around $250) check out the new Archos Gmini 402 which records decent quality audio (wav and mp3) AND even video so you can get the bowing in a workshop. it has a 20 gb harddrive and literally fits in your pocket.. The controls are easy to work and it has a nice color display and decent menuing system. I love mine and they are getting good reviews.

It also does games 🙂.

Hi GregBox,
was recently looking at these IRiver T30. Seems to be a few different models -some with flash memory etc. Are they all the same? What unit do you have? Thanks,

Posted .

Hi there,suzytee. I just got the new Creative Zen Vision:M MP3 player some weeks ago and find it great. It does it all. It has a built in mic for recording and can hold all your music - it has 30 gigs. It also plays video and stores your photos. The quality of the session music I recorded using the inbuilt mic is great! It came as a present so I’m not too sure about the price. Between €250 and €300 I’d say!

Posted by .

Reply to Wounded hussar. I think you’re right, there are different IRiver T30 models, some with bigger storage capacity, flash memory etc. I just got the basic model which is called the 16B red. I must say those other devices mentioned above with the video etc sound great but it’s hard to beat the price I paid, which was just US$115.

Thanks, there are so many models and some seem to record better than others so good to get feedback that this one can be used for this purpose. I tried another model recently and the buttons were so fiddly on it, it would drive you mad!

Posted .

Just to add that we did get one of the IRiver T30 with 1Gb for about Euro 75. It works grand as Greg says for recording, just using the internal microphone. saves direct to .mp3 format and easy to handle files using Windows Explorer etc.

Posted .