La Partida copyrights?

La Partida copyrights?

La Partida is from Venezuela but it’s fast becoming part of the ITM scene. Does anyone know if it is copyrighted? It’s one that my band plays and we are in the middle of recording. I couldn’t find any copyright info about it and I assume that means it’s not but I thought I’d consult the ol’ session for help. Thanks.

Posted by .

Re: La Partida copyrights?

Kevin Burke recorded it in 1992:

http://www.mystrands.com/track/197954

Perhaps you could look there. There is also a sheet music orchestra version of it on the internet, with a composer. I just Google searched "La Partida" and it came up.

Good luck anyhow.

Interested that you mention it’s becoming part of the ITM scene - played it last night at Rosie O’Grady’s in Oxford as a solo spot in between our "proper" ITM tunes ‘n’ songs. Seems to go down well - always assumed it was quite an old tune.

PS if it is the FM Alvarez tune (that’s certainly the one I was playing) then it will be out of copyright as copyright expires 70 years after the composer’s death. Good news if you’re recording it!

It sounds like a South American tune to me, and I just wonder why it would be considered to be Irish other than Kevin Burke has recorded it on a CD and its a lovely tune. Or is there some connection between Ireland and The Andes?

It’s not Irish, nor does anybody consider it Irish. As I said in the first five words of my initial question, it’s Venezuelan, which is in fact in South America. It IS becoming a popular session tune and other than that, has NO connection to Irish music. Good detective work though!

Posted by .

Sorry old scraper, that seems much more offensive than I ment it to be. I’m not really an ass hole, just a smart. I’ve had several beers this evening so I think I’m being much cleverer and smart ass-ier than I really am.
I really appreciate all your input and I’ve checked out all the links. Thanks.

Posted by .

Woops. Ass, I meant smart ass.

Posted by .

Yeah well. On that first link they have a tag: "international irish" - sorry, I got carried away a bit. Kept finding more. I love a lot of that Andes music and for a while there I played it a bit, good stuff, still love it, but you also said that La Partida is fast becoming part of the ITM scene. I just wonder why it should. It isn’t ITM. That’s all.

The Andes aren’t in Venezuela, or vice versa.

I really don’t know. The source I got it from said it was Venezuelan. We play it because we have several "Spanish" tunes in our repertour that people always seem to really get excited about. As far as the whole ITM scene, I have no idea why, it just seems like I’m hearing it more and more from Irish bands and at sessions.

Posted by .

There is a spur of the Andes goes into Venezuela.

Lots of ITM folks know it because The Kevin recorded it twice - most notably on the first Celtic Fiddle Festival album as part of the Found Harmonium medley. I still love that track and I don’t care who knows it! :-p

I meant 😛

"The Andes Cordillera is the longest continuous mountain chain on earth. It is South America’s main mountain system, running parallel to the Pacific Coast for over 4,000 unbroken miles, from the Caribbean Sea to the Strait of Magellan. Its high rugged peaks are the prominent land features of Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile, and Argentina."

Isn’t it funny where these discussions always wander off to? That’s part of the fun of it all (I guess).

Posted by .

PS I like the school one - very funky!

Thank you Mark, I for one did enjoy.

Ah yes. Good ol’ fingers. And goold ol’ YouTube too.
That’s a great arrangement! But what school one? Funky? Wha…

Posted by .

Thanks for the kudos on the "school" recording—- I actually prefer the version we put on our third CD, After the Battle. You can hear it on our CD sampler page of our website, wheatinthebarley.com. La Partida is one of the favourites in our school concerts, or any concerts for that matter - it’s a real gem.

When we took it into the studio in 2004, I searched for copyright info, but as it was first put to paper in 1898 in Venezuela, and several sources I contacted said that was just a musicologist’s transcription of a much older folk tune, we have credited it as "traditional" and left it at that.

I learned this version by ear from a true "Andean" musician, Adrian Villanueva of the Bolivian folk group Rumillajta, when they played at the Vancouver Folk Music Festival in the early 1990’s. They credited it as "Trad." on their own cassette tape.

Ours differs a bit from the gorgeous version Mark Harmer has posted on YouTube —- his agrees more with one played by friends here in Vancouver who learned it before emigrating from Chile, and I think it’s more like the printed version which I found somewhere on the web while doing my search. But then our band is known for its cheeky irreverence for traditional versions of folk tunes, as you may gather if you browse a bit.

Hope you enjoy it.

Mark Dowding

Mark, I just listened to yours again and I needed to say that it is great again.

Posted by .

Thanks, Marty. It’s very sweet, and much more like the original melody than the version I do. I have actually recorded the tune twice, on CDs released with both of my main groups: The Wheat in the Barley, which you’ve heard <http://www.wheatinthebarley.com/BattleAudio7.htm>; and with The Hot Club of Mars, a Gypsy jazz group, with whom I do it as a jazz waltz: <http://www.hotclubofmars.com/indexaudio.html>;. (Just click on the button next to the tune.)
You may find it interesting to contrast the styles of the two tracks. Enjoy!
Mark

Maybe it’s good to note the Belgian ‘folkgroup’ Rum recorded La Partida on their lp ‘Gelukkig, Ma non Troppo’ (Happy, ma non troppo) during the early 80s

One of their members was an guitarplayer from South America and it’s likely he is responsible for the first arrival of the tune on the European ‘folkscene’.

Posted .