Stupid Question

Stupid Question

How bad for an accordion is it to play it around a campfire? I’m not talking about potentially catching it on fire, but about possibly melting the reed wax.

Re: Stupid Question

Short of actually sitting on top of the fire, you should be safe enough as long as you keep the metal plate cover attached; it should dissipate most of the heat to the wooden surrounds and wood is not a good conductor of heat.

I wonder how long it will be before someone makes some disparaging remark about accordions and fires?

I’d imagine that if you were close enough to the fire to melt the wax you’d have been fairly well cooked by the time the wax melts. If you’re worried just keep checking the outside temperature of your accordion and move if it starts to get warm. I’d also make sure that you’re upwind of the fire so that there’s no danger of drawing stray embers, smoke and hot gases into the accordion.

Posted by .

Don’t worry about "slow cooking". Just bung it straight in the middle of the fire along with the bodhrans. 🙂

Sorry Alex. I thought it might have been a piano accordian but I see you play a B/C box.

Conan, I’ve just read your last sentence or I might not have made the above comment. 😉

How do you define a masochist?
I would submit that posting a question like this on the yellow board MUST fit within that definition.
Most posters around here do not associate the word "bad" with damage to an accordion.

Seriously, I would not bring my accordion into the wild—uncontrolled temp and humidity, not to mention dust and debris, pose too great a threat to the instrument—you are asking for problems in the future. If you want to play a free reed instrument around the campfire, I suggest learning the harmonica.

I don’t know, I think part of the reason we pay so much for quality instuments is their durability. It would be sad f I could only play my instrument in a climate controlled, dust free environment ("I can’t play tonight guys, I forgot my acid-free, lint-free white gloves"). Use common sense. If the fire feels hot, move back. Imagine all those accordians that were/are played where there is/was no climate control save the cooking fire.

Paraffin wax melts around 60 degrees C, so you’d be pretty uncomfortable for a long time before it melted.

PP

… so you’d be pretty uncomfortable for a long time before it melted.

Don’t know about that, at the rec.music…sqeezebox ng they seem to run pretty hot most of the time 🙂

Posted by .

Aren’t box reeds held in with beeswax, not paraffin wax?

Is this where the term "Mind your beeswax." came from?

Remember the guitar player in the book/movie Deliverance taking a less valuable instrument on the canoe trip? Don’t worry about campfires, watch out for hillbilly snipers.

Re: "How bad for an accordian is it to play it around a campfire?"

It depends on the extent of your repertoire.