Drunken fiddler?

Drunken fiddler?

Hi,
Has anyone on the Session ever come across a descriptive fiddle solo called the drunken fiddler?
It came up in conversation over the weekend, one of my mates mentioned he saw a fiddler playing this piece at a small gig in scotland a good few years ago. He said the fiddler began playing a tune out-of tune as though he were intoxicated and then turned it into a hornpipe.
It brought up a small discussion about descriptive pieces for different instruments, not duelling banjo’s!!!!, more like the fox chase on pipes or steam train on harmonica.
Any one know anything about the drunken fiddler?
As opposed to knowing drunken fiddler’s before someone mentions it ! 😉
Any info would be great.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Drunken fiddler?

Drunken Sailor perhaps?

I do a similar thing with Drowsy Maggie - I play a drunken Maggie version first. Slide into notes more, slow it way down, screw with the rhythm - it ends up a bit different every time. It lends a lot of drive to the ‘real’ tune when you launch into it, because it’s a resolution of sorts.

It was the most fun when I was studying with Anthea Lawrence and we knew each other’s playing well enough that we could play not-quite-toghether through the drunken bit and come in solidly on the true tune. Good times.

That’s cool!!! Drunken Landlady?

Posted by .

Sounds like it could be a fun stage gimmick, especially if you really hammed it up with swaying, staggering etc. then swing into Drunken Sailor hornpipe, or Glass of Beer or Mug of Brown Ale or whatever. Kind of reminds me of Drunken-style gong-fu, where the practitioner mimics movements of an intoxicated person to deceive and lull an adversary – before striking.

Faking drunk fiddling lulls the audience into a false sense of superiority, so they’re completely unsuspecting when you leap on them from the stage and seize their beer.

Then you can get on with real drunken fiddling.

There is 2 geats
Sean O’Sheas downfall
Paddy O’Briens frolics

don’t forget the Drunken Gauger- that’s a great tune

Posted by .

drunken billygoat

Drunken Disorderly?
Drunken Sentimental?
The Drunken Phisolophother?

Re: Drunken

All of ‘em better than drunken bikers…

Posted by .

I asked a drunken piper once how he could play so well when he was soooo drunk. "Thasshh eassy" he said, "practice drunk!".