BBC Radio 4 programme: "The Favourite" on tonight

BBC Radio 4 programme: "The Favourite" on tonight

On tonight at 23:30, runs for 1/2 an hour.

"When a small pub in North London was demolished to make way for Arsenal’s new stadium, part of the history of two generations of Irish migrants and musicians went with it. Through interviews and archive recordings, Debbie Kilbride reconstructs The Favourite - a landmark in the story of her father’s generation and of Irish music in Britain."

Re: BBC Radio 4 programme: "The Favourite" on tonight

Thanks. A lovely pub, and where I spent my 21st birthday. I think the music there finished in the 1980s.

There is a cd called Paddy In The Smoke, of sessions recorded on The Favourite in the 60s. It’s reviewed on this site.

Posted by .

I remember playing there in 1973, on the mandolin. They must have tolerated learners, althougth I was with ten navvies so maybe they didn’t want to upset me.

My greatness on the bodhran lay before me.

I’m looking for this in the Radio 4 website’s Listen Again section, what’s the name the show that featured it? searching the site on "The Favourite" or Debbie Kilbride didn’t work for me.

hmmn nevermind… found it 🙂, hasn’t happened yet I think. this time zone stuff…a challenge.

Ed, thanks for the tip.

I might make it to the Kilkenny in the next couple of weeks, as I’m back in London then. Hope to see you there.

Many thanks for that, Presumin Ed, and for the link, ratbiscuit.
Although the first 7 or 8 minutes dragged on for me, when I heard Reg Hall’s voice again it brought back great memories. I spent almost every Sunday lunchtime in The Favourite in the late ’60s, (yes, I was old enough to drink) and learned my first tunes and made my first band/session contacts there.

Before my time guys, but a good programme.

Cheers for the tip!

I thought there was too much talk and not enough music, but ne’ mind, eh !
I remember going there in the ‘70’s, and hearing Reg on the piano, and Peta Webb singing, and not much else. Oh, and the smoke…
I realise I’ve completely forgotten it’s exact location, I was sure it was on a corner towards Hornsey that has been redeveloped into a block of flats. Obviously not as I’ve managed to avoid seeing the new football ground. I wonder how much they paid for the pub, to have the privilidge of knocking it down ?
Must get hold of Paddy in the Smoke, it’s on cd now I think….
Yes, thanks for the tip !

I listened with interest. Yes, ideally it should have gone on longer and featured a full set by one or more of the maestros, but the social history was interesting enough. I had not realised that that particular wave of Irish emigration to Britain began as early as World War II, and the extent to which it was made necessary by the economic circumstances of Ireland.

Great programme, although I think it was first aired a few years ago. Is that Danny Meehan talking with the presenter’s dad? Certainly sounds like him