can’t fly with the fiddle now, anyone travelling by ferry uk -> Ireland??!!

can’t fly with the fiddle now, anyone travelling by ferry uk -> Ireland??!!

Well this is a long shot, a very long shot… But I’ve got to get back to Ireland sometime in September, preferably around the week of the 16th…

I booked my flight months ago, and now joy of joys have found out my fiddle exceeds the brand spanking new cabin baggage restrictions, it’s a bit too long, and therefore obviously extremely dangerous and more likely to be full of explosives than a bag or case a few inches smaller. Of course.

So here’s the long shot bit - is anyone travelling by boat from England to Ireland in September? I can’t afford to be fussy but around the 16th-ish would be the optimum time. But basically any time before the end of the month. My fiddle needs a lift!!!! I would be flying with the rest of my luggage (there’s quite a lot) but there’s no way I’m subjecting the fiddle to the ryanair baggage handlers or indeed the hold of the plane.

Yours desperately,
Lizzy xx

Posted by .

Re: can’t fly with the fiddle now, anyone travelling by ferry uk -> Ireland??!!

Lizzy, I’m in the same situation as you! I’ve got friends going on the ferry who will bring my fiddle from Ireland to England in 10 days, but for the return flight I was hoping that restrictions would have eased a bit by mid September, and if they don’t I was going to bag the flight back and return to Ireland via ferry.

Does anyone think restrictions will in fact loosen up by then?

Posted by .

Jeez it’s a mess isn’t it!!! I have a possible solution now thanks to a great friend with a car!

However it’s still really annoying, I’m at college in Limerick and I’m used to being able to fly back to Stanstead for bank holiday weekends, holidays etc with the fiddle. Now it looks like I might have to buy another fiddle to keep in this country; the thought of which is mad because my playing style etc is completely wrapped up in my instrument and also I won’t be able to play the new one when I’m in Ireland, which is most of the time!!!

Anyway rant over for now…

Posted by .

Is this an across the board situation imposed on all flights with all the air carriers? I am curious as I flew to and from and within Ireland in July of this year and carried a small travel guitar with no problems. Of course as you said- brand new regs imposed because of the terrorist threats. Good luck to you on this.

From what I’ve read from other posts, Ryanair actually tries to hold you to the posted carry on baggage size. I’ve flown alot of airlines in the states and have had no problem. It would be nice if every carrier would be consistant so we wouldn’t be in this situation. You see guitars stuffed into soft gig bags all the time.

Posted by .

I have a feeling there’s some kind of weird regulation about flights out of the uk but not into the uk…or something equally ridiculous… But as far as I know it’s all commercial flights, regardless of company?

Anyway my cousin works at East Midlands airport and told me they’ve been really strict about dimensions since the "security threats", so much so that if you turn up with something too big, they’ll just turn you away.

Also I read on the Ryanair website that you can no longer book a seat for your instrument - which is another new regulation because I’ve seen people with guitar cases sitting next to them and even a sitar player once on a plane.

Hmm

Posted by .

The other possibility would be then to check your fiddle case (with the bow) and carry your fiddle on in a plastic bag. Has anyone tried that?

Posted by .

I’m thinking the fiddle on it’s own would also be too big for current regulations?

My daughter flew with her two little girls (1 and 2-1/2) from Brussels to Bristol on a Belgium SN flight a week ago, with no cabin baggage problems or significant security problems out of the ordinary at the Brussels end.
When they returned a few days later, flying from Bristol Airport, the situation was rather different: no rucksack in the cabin this time, although a much smaller bag was allowed; she had to taste the girls’ drinks before being allowed to take the bottles on board; and her shoes were searched.
That wasn’t all. The 2-year old had her sandals taken off for examination. She objected in the only way she could - a screaming tantrum as only a 2-year old knows how until the sandals were put back on.
I’ll leave you to judge what, if anything, passes through the minds of the people who make these regulations and then require hapless security personnel to implement them regardless of the circumstances.

Lazyhound…. that is really something with the two year old. It is possible they are reacting to terrosits in the past having used children in bombings, but there has to be a simpler way than assuming everyone is a terrorist. Maybe it’s just heavy security in the past few weeks due to the scare.

Lizzy, would you trust the post office… heavily insured… they have surface mail? I could take many weeks or a month or more, but if you send registered it is tracked at every step, and you can insure.

Alternately use a shipper/shipping service that deals in shipping high end valuable antiques, they are generally heavily insured and take full responsibility. Not cheap I hear though. An auction house can surely recommend a few.

good luck…. the good old days sure are over!

there are practically indestructible guitar cases these days. If you get one, loosen the string if you fly of course, or maybe pack it case and all in bubble wrap and then inside a regular suitcase.

Watch…they’ll think the bubblewrap is a bomb, LOL!

What are BrianAir playing at?
Musical Instruments £17
Under two year olds £7

The toddlers get no luggage allowance either. We watched a number of families check in with 3 or 4 toddlers - how on earth can you pack enough clothes for the kids and the parents in 2 cases allowance?

I was told off for packing my concertina in my luggage - I should have paid extra.

Lizzy i am travelling to ireland 13/14 sept for the Johnny keenan banjo festival,going from bham via hollyhead ,will gladly help

Posted by .

Friends of mine flew back to the states from Shetland, and they phoned all the airlines they were using in advance, they were allowed to put their fiddles in a locked cupboard aboard the aircraft, and retrieve them at the end of flight, the main thing the airlines are worried about, is people having access to what could be explosives during the flight.Speak to your airlines.

I had already paid for an extra seat for my fiddle (to fly Nov 9 for the Ennis weekend) - what’s the betting there won’t be a refund for that and there will still be a charge for putting it in the hold! As I intended to manage with hand baggage only (not possible with the reduced dimensions) there will be a checked baggage charge of £28 for 2 items. Has anybody come across this situation yet? I am tempted to simply abandon the flights and go on the bus but my travelling companion does not want a long bus journey.

Jeez, I wonder how Lunasa & other internationally touring bands are holding up…. :(

last year i flight to Ireland with a handbagage+ my fiddle (with ryanair) it’s strange that isn’t possible to do that, jet…what a shame….good luck anyway…

Posted by .

Lizzie,

I am travelling by car to Dún Laoghaire and then on to Coleraine, from Holyhead on 22nd September, if that’s of any use to you.
I will be leaving home in Cheshire on Thursday 21st.

Best of luck

Peter

Thanks to all who have offered help, very very much appreciated!!! Happily I have sorted the problem out now. Go raibh míle maith agaibh…
Lizzy

Posted by .

The only thing more twisted than checking the sandals of a 2 year old…..is how casually it appears "some people" would sacrifice their children and themselves to murder other families. I guess becoming a martyr through petty murder is a shortcut to a well appointed afterlife.

I am traveling through the UK and then Ireland during the next two weeks….I have no good solution for my fiddle other than packing it up good and tight and hoping for the best in baggage. Its a good instrument but not old or rare, my luthier says it should be fine. Trying to find a way to insure it against being lost or crushed.