D/G boxes

D/G boxes

Hello…….

Are there any other D/G box players out there?….

Can you hear me?….

Any opinions?….

Re: D/G boxes

hi
that’s funny, i wanted to ask the same question. So we are at least two trying to play ITM on a D/G box. I’m getting use to it. But sometimes i feel that it doesn’t sound like the real thing! I began playing on a G/C which are the standart ones here, and as i was interested in ITM i bought a D/G to keep the logic of the fingering. From time to time i asked myself, should i changed to a C#/D?, .So i would be interested to know if it’s possible to play correctly ITM on a D/G box.

Correctly?
Thats a daft question. You should know there is no such thing in diddly music. (I might add though, in the long run, you’ll find the Csharp/D easier. It might mess with your head now, but persivear and reap the rewards)

Posted .

I thought you were meant to be a fiddle player, and from fiddling, you should know there’s an infinite variety of wrong notes that it’s possible to play.
I think that’s where my fellow box-player is coming from when he says correctly. With the D/G box you wouldn’t be able to play the full range of Brigid of Knock, or The Kylebrack Ramblers, for example, which a good fiddle player could.

D/Gs are and have always been good for Morris music and songs. Trying to play Irish/Scottish jigs and reels and the like is possible, but only to a certain degree. Also, not all tunes can be played on a D/G box because of their limited range.

Posted by .

Yes and no.

Yes: Allegedly (from a trusted source) they were "invented", or more likely, "made to measure" for English players by the Italian craftsmen, whenever……. a D/G Castagnari, with those sweet "dry"-tuned reeds, seems a fairly modern instrument to me!

Anyway, I’ve heard Italian players, playing beautiful, humorous Gigas, Tarantellas etc. on "L’Organetto Diatonico" - in D/G! - so where does that leave your assertion?

No, inasmuch as I have met a few D/G box players from Kerry and around, so maybe they’re good for Polkas & Slides (I don’t know that many - but try playing the Bluebell Polka on it - the famous Jimmy Shand/Will Starr one - at slightly faster than hornpipe pace so you can embellish it with triplets - guaranteed, if not to bring the house down, at least to put a smile on Mr Grumpy-at-the-bar’s coupon).
Also there’s a tradition of playing single-row D-melodeon in the West (Johnny Connolly Sr.?), so sticking on an extra row in G would, I imagine, have been an attractive yet natural evolution for those boys (and girls - nowadays anyway, thankfully).
On top of that (literally) you can have a third row in A, upon which I’ve heard played (at blinding pace) Music For a Found Harmonium.
The lack of range can, in most events, be compensated for by lifting an octave, as one would on the flute, for notes below C. Which means, if the tune can be played, it will be played, difficult or not.

So there.

as you said as there was a single row melodeon tradition in Kerry, D/G box is an improvement as it allows to play in two keys. For myself i use a Saltarelle Shamrock so with the extra buttons i have no problem of range, i can play all the notes from the low G (even the natural C in the G row). I think that with the D/G box the most difficult thing is the fingering which can be sometimes tricky, as many notes can be played in both rows, you have to think about the most suited fingering while playing, and if you intend to put chords from time to time it gets harder.
onementations are not obvious also. But the main drawback i think is that as the D/G box is a diatonic instrument with two keys, so you can’t play all the tunes as with a B/C or C#/D which are in fact chromatic. But for the moment as i’m used to the logic of the instrument and as i have enough tunes that i can play on it (even jigs and reels) i’m not ready to change i still enjoy it.

Italian music? What happened to using D/G in Celtic traditions? Sounds like off-subject malarky to me. The truth stands in D/G limitations. Why argue the obvious?

Posted by .

Ungnhh!!…Groan……Yawn…..

Don’t know if I could really be bothered replying, but suppose I can’t disappoint the audience (again)……so here goes……..

Speak dear chap.
Seems like you weren’t quite up to finishing reading my posting. Or you’re not familiar with the tunes I quoted to exemplify my assertion (in which case QED). But don’t worry - help is now at hand for the hard of thinking. The point is, that although there are limitations (ie, playing below C) and certain tunes (eg, requiring arpeggios) are safer played more steadily, the D/G box will accommodate most Irish tunes. Try doing the Contradiction Reel.

While I’m at it, to what do you refer when you use the term "Celtic" vis-a-vis "Irish"? I’m sure pre-Victorian Scots would have had difficulty in ascribing their music to their antediluvian ancestors from Dalriada, never mind Gallegos of the same period - just bear in mind the term "Celtic" IS a marketing ploy.

Next on the agenda?… Oh yes… Italian box music. I’d be careful giving out about that stuff if I were you, until you’ve heard it. Off subject malarky? Pardon me? Maybe you should read some other postings on this site before pointing that particular finger at me - eg, I didn’t know Bono or Mark Knopfler or Bob Dylan were prolific contributors to our Precious Tradition (takers more like).

Yeah - and did you know that there was a province of the Roman Empire in Northern Italy called CisAlpine Gaul - and what were Gauls?……..Yep. You guessed….. Celts.

Anyway, I’m bored ————————

"Boinng!!" said Zebedee - don’t even think about it. You’d never get it.

My goodness, how the fur does fly in this thread. I’m sure glad I’m not a *Celtic* box player. Just popped my head in for a minute to see what the world of box players is like. I think I’ll leave now….

Posted by .

Hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe.

Posted by .

Andee - too rough for you in the boy’s playground?
SPeak - Re: hehehe… - for once I agree with you. Don’t think I didn’t know you were trying to wind me up. What’ll we talk about now……

…How ‘bout Boehm system flutes?

Like talking to a brick wall.

Posted by .

If you say so, Boss.

Anyway, I’m far more interested in paul-leray’s comments with regard to the Saltarelle Shamrock - Paul, you said there are extra buttons, so no problem with range…. could you tell me more? …..so this Box has buttons going down to C natural…..is that where it stops?

Also have you tried anything else like the Castagnari model with the top Half-row in A?
Or a Shand Marino - it’s got 4 rows, and someone told me 2 of them were D&G - maybe he was trying to sell me it!

I’m just curious, as I’ve been vaguely promising myself an upgrade this decade!

I have a Chris Parkinsons CD ( he plays a GD box) and I like it.

HI my fellow C/D
The Shamrock has 25 buttons (13 for the G row and 12 for the D row) and 4 voices. I can play from the low G (as a fiddle), so i can play almost all the tunes in G and D. You can visit the Saltarelle site:
http://www.saltarelle.com/page4.htm
i had to have a note changed to have the low natural C (that was the only note missing) on the G row.
Sorry for this late reply

Hi I am dan Mackays daughter,you know the one who Writes about weird discussions. Well incase you were wondering I am not at all like him & dont intend to be either. I myself am classicly trained on the piano and am doing my grades. anyway about the d/g boxes I suppose i will have to admit my father is pretty good. I am totally surprised that anyone has achelly replied to my fathers messeges cause I think there a load of rubbish!!!. If anyone lived with my father I think they would go mad even the person who Loved D/G boxes would hate them after a day in our house, must go from Roisin,11years.

Whaaat!!

Get up to bed ya cheeky wee minx!!!!
I don’t know…. the kids of today….