lost overton

lost overton

Well, I guess I was lucky (as my very practical sister kept telling me) that it wasn’t the car keys or the purse that were lost but why do I still feel like crying every time I think about the fact that I no longer have my whistle to hand ? The mobile was in the same bag with all my contact numbers and some photos on it but if given the choice of getting one thing back I think I would choose the whistle
Any other sad losers out there ?

Re: lost overton

Thankfully it hasn’t happened to me but a fiddler I was playing with in a session told me he once had a Strad (the REALLY famous violins), had set it down on a chair, went to order a pint and came back and sat on it. No chance of salvage - smashed to bits! At least your whistle is still ‘alive’ and possibly playing music somewhere!!

Sounds like a bullsh!t story if ever I heard one.

NOBODY takes a Stradivarius violin to a pub session, let alone leaves it unattended on a chair while going for a pint, let alone is stupid or p*ssed enough to then sit on it.

He might have had a violin with a Stradivarius label, there are millions of dishonest fakes and honest copies, but the small number of authenticated genuine Strad violins in the world means they are all accounted for, and they change hands rarely and for hundreds of thousands of pounds at the minimum.

Oh! Spoilsport!

Posted .

I’ve lost quite a few hours, days, weeks, months of my life … does that count? I guess not 🙂

Posted .

Lost playing tunes, of course .. stupid!

Posted .

I left my old Greek ’zouk in a folk club once, and when I came back the next day it was still there !
I’m sorry for your news, Flossie, instruments are a part of us.

Wow I’m glad you got your ’zouk back GP, I was very unlucky I think that someone unscrupulous was around. But I have picked myself up and decided to order another whistle a Burke I think this time. The Overton was a gift many years ago, I would never have bought something that good for myself back then, but it did help to make a huge improvement to my playing. Thanks for the sympathy folks I knew you would understand how I was feeling.

we were all sad when you told us bout yr wsll…Once I left my most treasured Susato in a Taxi coming home worse for wear that was about four years ago and I still think about that bleedn wsll .Like a lost child or somethin look behind me when gettin out the taxi after a gig or sesh….Not to mention the nite I turned up at the sesh and realized another Susato had jumped out my pocket whilst I was cycling to town.We went back scouring the streets obsessively kerb crawling in Gregs car.l.Evetually I found it Smashed to bits in the middle of catherine Street..I took home the shattered remnants and gave them a decent burial.IN a way thiswasnt as bad..at least Iknew what had become of my beloved instrument.Time is a great healer Flossie but you will never forget…best thing to do is get yrself a really nice new wsll and play the****out of it !

Cheers Peter I knew you would understand, sorry about your Susatos. I think someone needs to invent a homing whistle. I’ve just got back from the Lakes been camping with a nephew to celebrate his birthday. Took the Clarkes with me and got in a few tunes in the ODG in Langdale on Wednesday and Thursday. Both interesting nights! But its very strange playing a different whistle out and about. Probably wont get to a session for a couple of weeks now due to work and family commitments so if the new whistle arrives soon I will have some time to get used to it. Take it easy and thanks again for the sympathy.