Willie Clancy Summer School 2007

Willie Clancy Summer School 2007

I am considering going to the Willie Clancy Summer School next year. I play the tenor banjo and consider myself fairly advanced. I would appreciate it if someone, obviously with experience of the classes, could tell me how pupils are graded for classes (obviously my opinion of my own playing may not concur with a tutors - I have been playing since 1970 but I am self taught and haven’t played in sessions for @ least 10 years although I practice virtually daily).

Re: Willie Clancy Summer School 2007

All the students and tutors congregate on the Monday morning, and each student is asked to play a tune of his/her choice. The tutors will then allocate you to what they consider to be an appropriate class for your ability.

Posted by .

What Kenny said is accurate but I would add that they usually won’t stop you switching classes if you are really keen on having a particular tutor or feel the things are going too or too fast in the class your in. It’s fairly flexible that way and I think you’d have to be wildly misjudging your own abilities for the tutors to really stop you sitting in with your favourite tutor.

Posted by .

Hi there,

My fiancee was in the banjo class this year, and he has been playing for about a year and a half. He said there were 3 levels of banjo classes this year, and he was in the middle class. He said the advanced class focused a lot on technique, so if you need to work on that, it might be good for you. The way the banjo classes work, they have a different teacher every day, so you would probably be able to learn soemthing from someone.

If you have been playing for 10 years, though, be aware that the classes might be too easy for you. The first time I went to WCSS, I had been playing whistle for about 10 years and was placed in the most advanced class. I did learn a few things in the class, but as a whole the class was too easy. Of course if the classes are too easy you can always hang out at the sessions and record tunes to learn.

Justine

I attended my first Willie Clancy week this year and thoroughly enjoyed the total experience. I’ve been playing tenor banjo for 2 years and after grading was placed in a class where I felt comfortable and all of us were of similar ability. We were taught by different tutours every day including Kieran Hanrahan and John Carty. They are all experienced musicians and excellent teachers. What you gain from these classes is different styles of playing and interpretation not just learning tunes. One day we were taught by a girl from west Limerick and were shown the banjo techniques/ right hand picking styles for playing polkas and slides which was great fun.I think that irrespective of your ability level you will gain from the experience and meet so many people who share your passsion for the music. Hopefully I ’ll meet up with you next year ?

Was there last year …just playing year and half the lessons were great! threre is adult classes at different levels so if u are an Lplate or at it years tis all cool..well worth doing and the best inspiration ever.actually got addicted to playing improved alot after it..great crack as well..lookig forwrd to next year already!!!!