Seagull S6 “original” or Cort Earth 202…

Re: Seagull S6 “original” or Cort Earth 202…

I looked at these, I thought Taylors had a better feel, IMHO

Have you played them both? They have different nut widths and will feel very different in your hands.

On a purely physical side, the Cort has solid woods front and back, whereas the Seagull has a laminated back. But it’s going to depend on what you use them for (I should stress here I’ve never played either), I would guess the Cort (from it’s body shape) will have a bigger bass responce than the Seagull - although this could just be from the angle they’re photographed at - maybe important if you play fingerstyle or if you strum with a particular emphasis on bass. The Seagull might have a more rounded response, on the other hand both might have a fairly dead middle range - so you need to play them.

If they’re both the same price, the fact that the Seagull comes with stock electronics suggests to me that the guitar might be of lower quality, decide if you really need the pickup - and if you do you might find yourself wanting a better system.

Mixed feelings….

I like cedar and it is sometimes it is even difficult to tell the difference between two different cedar top models because the wood has such a unique sound. But, generally speaking, between Cort and Seagull there is an ocean of difference in quality and playability.

*For the price* I like the tone, playability and general feel of the entire Seagull range very much, very easy to play a very easy fit in the hand. They make quality instruments. They sound and feel quite astonishing for the price, almost a steal for that kind of money, but each one I’ve played has been rather quiet — still however above and beyond any Cort, often above and beyond anything else for the price.

I even played the S6 not long ago and my gripe was the lack in volume and resonance, we ended up buying a Takamine AN10S. And although I didn’t play the 202, the Seagull action and playability are consistently better than the Cort line, everywhere, each model. I have never liked a Cort and never considered buying one. Play some of their other models and despite huge differences in the prices of their different models, they all feel like chunks of wood, lack resonance and definition, usually too much gloss, don’t feel right. You might feel differnetly, but that’s just my opinion. As for the wood, I owned a Seagull M12 and the laminated mahoghany-cherry-mahoghany back and sides really did cut the resonance down quite a bit, so maybe the Cort would fare better in that area. Still, I wouldn’t buy the Cort but it’s just how I feel. Have you played either one?

Why have you narrowed it down to just these two models? Takamine makes the AN10S a great cedar top model that my girlfriend got for about the same price, all solid wood and, well.. wow, I was surprised how well balanced and easy to play it was.
http://www.takamine.com/?fa=detail&mid=364&sid=62#

We were afraid that the company had made an error and sold us the wrong guitar and would come knocking on the door any day to ask for the other half of the money, it was that good.

What will you be using it for? Try to play them first but if not then I hope this helps somehow..

time to go to bed and spell-check my dreams..

I’m buying the guitar because the band that I’m in has started to record an album.We’ve recorded one track,which I’ve recorded with a very cheap yamaha F-340,the sound is not very good,but not so horrible either.I need a guitar for that price,new,for recording.

Posted by .

I’d buy the Seagull, then, more headroom, (but seriously look into the Takamine I mentioned, if you know a dealer with one on hand). I think she got it new for about $350… SEagulls really are nice instruments.

Ok!Thanks!

Posted by .

A few points - firstly, buying a guitar on the advice of people posting on an internet forum isn’t a great idea - you sound like you aren’t sure exactly what it is you want / need. Secondly, a guitar can be thoroughly set up for very little money (£20), so how the guitar feels to play (in terms of the action) isn’t terribly important, it can easily be changed. Something as simple as going up a string guage requires a compensating adjust to maintain the feel of the guitar. So in my mind the physical properties of the guitar (neck width, depth, radius, string separation intonation etc) are more important.

Finally, don’t record using the stock pickup - peizo pickups are for when you need a loud rhythmical noise (eg at a ceilidh) not an accurate representation of the guitar’s sound - it will sound awful (lots of attack, not alot of anything else). Use a mic or two / ambient mic-ing.

Andy is so right…. and you can’t even go by name brands, the same brand, same model may sound different one to the other.

I’d also use mikes to record, pickups sound terrible as far as I have ever heard. Just not as clean and clear as mikes.

Maybe you can just borrow a friend’s guitar that records well? Sounds like the more info we all give the more confused you will get.

Feel of the guitar is critical to playing too. Usually at a good guitar shop they may have an idea based on peoples’ experience what records well or doesn’t. A lot can be done in the EQ after as well if the sound isn’t perfect after recording.

Just get something you like that feels good and sounds good to your ear. A good sound tech will make it sound even better after the fact no matter what it is. The only thing I stay away from is guitars that are too resonanant. I learned the hard way, after playing on a friend’s CD with a very high end guitar, it just wasn’t clean and crisp no matter what the engineer did.It’s a done deal now and I can’t even stand to listen to it.

I found too on doing my own recording that a lower end, less resonant guitar did the trick. I hear that something like a nice solid wood mahogony/sitka OM does the job fine for most music styles from some people. Then again, depends on what sound you want. You might want a bassey dreadnaught.

oh….we’ll just confuse you more with too much info!