UK airport restrictions on instruments eased

UK airport restrictions on instruments eased

Now let’s see how this works in real life … From a story in today’s (online) Independent:

Airport hand luggage curbs relaxed
By Peter Woodman, PA
Published: 21 September 2006

Hand luggage restrictions at UK airports are to be eased from tomorrow, the Department for Transport (DfT) announced today.

Passengers will be allowed, once more, to carry larger bags on to planes following the reduction in the size of permitted hand luggage introduced last month after the thwarting of an alleged terrorist plot to blow up planes.

<snip>

Musicians with instruments too big to go into hand luggage will now be able to take them on board, although they will have to be screened separately.

The easing of the restrictions on instruments, which have had to be carried in aircraft holds since last month, follows an impassioned plea for leniency by conductor Mark Elder at the Last Night Of The Proms earlier this month.

<snip>

From tomorrow, passengers will be able to take on board bags which conform to the aviation industry-accepted dimensions of 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (about 22in x 18in x 10in).

for the complete story:
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/transport/article1660775.ece

Re: UK airport restrictions on instruments eased

Doesn’t help much for fiddle players as the case is a good bit longer than 22 inches.

The BA website says you can take on musical instruments as long as they are screened separately. Implies this is separate from the dimensions thing.

Hope so as I am flying to Dublin weekend after next and I am NOT putting my fiddle in the hold.

Posted by .

CAN YOU TAKE BANJOS AS HAND LUGGAGE -OR IS THAT ASKING FOR TROUBLE?

So what was it all about?
What’s changed now to make it less of a security risk to take a fiddle on a plane?

I think they’ve just realized that the stricter guidelines were unreasonable.

I don’t think they ever thought instruments as such were a security risk, but they just reacted to a security threat by imposing the most restrictive restrictions, and are now loosening them a bit at a time. It’s far easier — certainly quicker — to say "everything is forbidden" and then think things out and start gradually permitting things.

Musical instruments were probably included in an early round of restriction loosening not only because they appear not to be much of a threat, but also because of the announced cancellation of several high dollar orchestral tours because of the restrictions. That, and the fact that any Proms audience (almost any orchestral audience ) will include some folks with the time, money and energy to pester their elected officials into submission.

Nothing I’ve read says that the airlines have to let you take an instrument on board *for free*. If it doesn’t fit overhead or under a seat, they could make you pay to bring it on board (or not, if they’re being nice). There probably is a special extra fee for banjos, just because they’re trouble. Bodhrans, too, of course. Or are they still banned?

According to the BBC last evening one of the main reasons that they’ve been able to relax the criteria on what can be taken into the cabin is that they’ve had to check/train the x-ray operatives to spot all the different things in larger hand luggage (as they are layered on top of each other). They are now satisified that they can. The obvious inference I take from this is that they weren’t able to properly check hand luggage with x-rays before!

Posted by .

Quite.
Having arrived in Florence a couple of years back, after traipsing past the box full of surrendered nail clippers etc, and reaching into the bag I’d had x-rayed and had taken on as hand-baggage, only to slice my hand open on a scalpel I’d inadvertantly left in there after doing some paste-up; I realised that the x-ray thing was merely cosmetic.

Or am I just an old cynic?

Re: UK airport restrictions on instruments eased slightly

Instead of a max size, why not have a max linear length of height + width + length, so all the dimensions add up to less than 99 cm?
That would accomodate most instruments out of the case. Silly and a last resort, but wouldn’t you rather take the instrument into the cabin and book the empty case into the hold?

I am still not convinced by BrianAirs argument that if I take an instrument into the cabin, I cannot bring anything else. Will women be allowed to take an instrument and a handbag?

It said in the Telegraph, that women will not be allowed to take a handbag and a laptop into the cabin.
Still looks like the ferry or Eurostar to a sensible country to fly from.

My school took 90 musicians to Lake Garda at the end of July. Fortunatly, before all the security nonsense and all the instruments went overland in a van, but I dread to think what might have happened if they’d had to tell 90 of us that we couldn’t bring instrumnets on the plane

I have taken both a laptop in a backpack and a mandolin in its case into the cabin on every flight I’ve taken this year, including several Ryanairs and several in August through Heathrow during the security crisis. No problem at all.

Posted by .