Electric Fiddles

Electric Fiddles

I’m looking into getting an electric fiddle (because my acoustic is really bad and I don’t want to get a pickup), and was wondering which ones have a good ‘fiddle tone’ and response. I’m looking at the Yamaha EV204 right now.

Re: Electric Fiddles

In a previous existence, I owned five different electric fiddles of various types—the most recent was a mid-1990s model. None of them had anywhere near the tone and response of a real fiddle, and I doubt that technology has improved all that much since then.

If genuine fiddle sound is important to you, get a better real fiddle and put a microphone on it. There’s no other way.

I use a Yamaha when playing with the full band - it has the advantage of giving me in-ear monitoring which is useful when you’re next to a drum kit on a small stage!!
None of the pick ups we’ve tried have given such a good signal to the desk and there are no feedback issues.
Although the sound doesn’t quite match the quality of my acoustic fiddles, it’s amazing what a good engineer can do!
The original strings on the Yamaha were awful - change them immediately!!
We use a guitar tuner in the loop which means that the fiddle can be cut out of the system at any time - useful for re-tuning without disturbing the rest of the band!
The in-ear facility also means you can practise silently which is useful in hotels etc.
I tried a Bridge fiddle and hated it - couldn’t get a good sound and the build quality was poor - the battery fell out within the first week!
I’ve also heard the Sonic fiddles sound reasonable but have never tried one within the full band set up.
For the best of both worlds, Tim Phillips makes an electro -acoustic. I have one but the signal to the desk isn’t quite strong enough for the big band but we’re experimenting with a radio transmiter on it at the moment.

Skyinbow.com

If you want a "good fiddle tone and response" the starting point is a good fiddle. Don’t expect to get that from anything else.

Electro - Acoustic is the way to go.

electric fiddles are fine if the other musicians are happy to rely on monitors to hear the fiddle rather than hearing the instrument next to them (or if you have musicians who don’t listen that carefully)
We don’t use monitors (more because of having enough pa to bring as it is) - Some nights the electric fiddle is OK, other nights the other musicians complain about not liking the sound - so our fiddlers generally bring both.

I remember Eliza Carthy saying in an interview years ago that she would never play an electric fiddle because they sounded like "a wasp in a jam jar".I saw her on tv a couple of days ago,recorded recently ,and she was playing……..wait for it, an electric fiddle.Perhaps the technology has improved.

yeah, but her music is like a wasp in a jam jar

Posted .

The bridge electric fiddles are fairly reasonable sounding. Most electric fiddles have that slightly buzzy sound… I have done sound for bands with Bridge, Starfish and Skyinbow and non of them are that great although the Bridge and skyinbow seem to be closest to a real fiddle sound…. I had a quick listen to one of the bridge fiddles which is a hollow body electric… looks like a normal fiddle but is made of composite material, this gave you some acoustic sound as well as almost getting rid of the buzz, and you still get the same feedback free playing on stage.

Bridge are used by professionals…I’ve never had issues with sound or build quality. It sounds like you had a faulty model - I would also say that their post-purchase support is excellent. I’ve often given my fiddle to them for a quick repair (due to accidents, not quality of fiddle) at festivals and they’d get it back to me for the end of the festival for little or no cost. Get to a shop and play one of their fiddles on a decent amp to get an idea as to sound quality, you shouldn’t buy an electric fiddle without considering them.

Our fiddle-player swears by his starfish
www.starfishdesigns.co.uk
and they can do customised designs replicating the exact size of your own acoustic, plus their pickup is designed by them in association with Ashworth, plus they also do 5- and 6-string models for violin, 5-string too for viola, and cello, bass, and celtic harps.They’re not cheap, but quality never is.
I’m not a fiddle-player, but I have sat next to the odd bad fiddle, as well as good ones, and I know I’m very happy on stage hearing Sim’s fiddle-sound out of the monitors. Maybe some of it depends on having the fiddle-player set up his own sound !