Good tunes for Mandolin

Good tunes for Mandolin

so i bought meself a mandolin this afternoon.
(its my birthday)

can anyone suggest some tunes that sound particularly nice on them?

Re: Good tunes for Mandolin

O’Carolan’s Concerto

I’ve always found ‘The Lark in the Morning’ to be particularly suited to the mandolin (though the top string work can be a little tricky). Playing jigs and hornpipes seem to make more sense on the instrument, or so I’ve discovered.

Posted by .

Tunes in A always have plenty of drones to work with and sound particularly good on mandolin. Get the picking down for jigs and add some triplets and you are on your way. Best of luck.

Some fun ones to start with:

Little Beggarman (Red-Haired Boy)
John Ryan’s Polka
Sailor’s Hornpipe
Road to Lisdoonvarna
Kesh Jig
Tripping Up the Stairs

You might want to consider doing what I did when I bought my mandolin — buy the Fiddler’s Fakebook and just play all kinds of stuff out of it. (Yes, I do mean the Fiddler’s Fakebook…since fiddle and mando are tuned the same so you can play a lot of fiddle tunes on mando fairly easily. There is also a Mandolin Fakebook by the same author that might be worth checking out, but I think it is mostly just a repackaging of the Fiddler’s Fakebook.) Also a lot of American old-time music is fairly easy and fun to play. Some fun ones:

Liberty
Too Young Too Marry
Jaybird
Whiskey Before Breakfast
Eighth of January
Over the Waterfall
Fire on the Mountain (impressive and surprisingly easy to play)

My Darling Asleep

… trips of a mandolin beautifully.

Posted by .

haha…
Road to Lisdoonvarna

that was the first tune i started playing when i took the thing out of the box. such a great wee tune.

thanks for the suggestions.

keep em coming

Anything by O’Carolan, if played at the correct "big house" dance speed. Slow airs.

If you like jigs and reels, get a banjo.

Ned O the Hill
Roisin Dhu
Ashokan Farewell
Fanny Power
Play with the tremeloe.

I would very much agree with Geoff W, jigs and hornpipes seem to suit the mandolin very well, reels work too, but I find slow reels work better than fast ones.

Happy birthday Dub.
In my humble opinion ‘the rights of man’ is a lovely tune to play on the mandolin, should be no bother to you. Its one of my favourites.
Best of luck with it.

George Whites
McFaddens handsome daughter
Craigs pipes?

Enjoy

I find jigs way easier to play on mandolin than reels, so I know way more of them than reels. Bm is a great key for them on mandolin too, and there were lot’s of good ones listed on a recent thread about Bm tunes for flute. Em requires barring the D and A strings with your first finger. Hard at first, but you’ll need it, so you may as well get used to it, and start with some Em tunes, like Drowsy Maggie, Morrison’s, Wheelan’s, etc. The Cordal Jig is nice, and easy to play, so is Tobin’s Favorite; they’re in D.

Enjoy your new mandolin!