Tim Lyons?

Tim Lyons?

A friend recently told me about this singer/songwriter, who apparently is quite good, but I’ve not been able to find any of his recordings in print.Nor have I been able to find much information about him. Does anyone here have a link to a site where I can find some examples of his songs/music, and where I can purchase some recordings?
Thanks.

Posted by .

Re: Tim Lyons?

Great performer, I have one of his LPs, a rare find at a rummage sale.

I don’t know of his complete discography, but several are listed here (in LP format), although certinly not at rummage sale prices!

http://www.musicstack.com

You’ll have to type in his name and search them because the URL seems to be the same for all search results, but they’re there.

He also does a great rendition of The Humours of Whiskey you can find on the Green Linnet Records 20 Anniversary double CD, a retrospective compilation of albums on the Green Linnet label. It’s full of great music although somewhat sad because you only get a taste, many of the albums are out of print or difficult to find.

Both of Tim Lyons’s albums (‘The Green Linnet’ on Leader, now owned by Celtic Music, and ‘Easter Snow’ on Green Linnet itself) have never been reissued on CD.

He did release a couple of albums on cassette only (I think) as part of Scithereedee with flute player Fintan Vallely.

By the way, the most detailed discography of ITM recordings on the Net can be found at my http://www.irishmusicreview.com site. Click on ‘Discography’ and then on ‘Directory’ to check any musician’s or group’s recordings.

Posted by .

So, it looks like my chances are pretty slim of finding anything by him at affordable prices? I do still own a turntable BTW.

Posted by .

I’ll try to sneak in a recorder to the singers’ session in Clarinbridge on Friday night….if I get there.

He did a gig locally with his brother John a couple of weeks back, and they were fantastic!

The only recording of him that I have myself is on an old, casette-only, collection published by Ennis Singers’ Club.

Yep, the Lyons/Vallely website is there, but it’s so old that you can still shell out your old Punt for a copy!

Posted by .

I saw Tim Lyons as part of De Dannan in April 1978. Tim toured with the band for a year back then although they never recorded that line up. He had an outstanding voice in those days and also played box. They did a couple of shows for the BBC which will still be in the vaults somewhere. I have a tape recorded with Fintan Vallely called Knock! Knock! Knock!