Banjaxed!

Banjaxed!

Should be a great night…anyone on the site going tomorrow night?

Posted by .

Re: Banjaxed!

My piper is going… go figure!

I’m very… very… very sad that I can’t go. Estimated forecast: crack in the high 90s.

I’ll be there - will let youse know what you missed…..

Definitely. I totally woudn’t miss it.

What the hell is “Banjaxed” Darren? I’m in New York for the first week in next month. Any tunes worth lookin in on?

From the website:

BANJAXED!
The Great Irish Tenor Banjo Concert at the Moravian Church
30th St. and Lexington Ave.
The first-ever concert in the western hemisphere dedicated to a celebration of the tenor banjo in Irish traditional music, Banjaxed! will feature some of the top Irish four-string pickers in the US, including Limerick native and NYU professor Mick Moloney, ultra-modern County Cavan plectrum wizard Darren Maloney, Tipperary-born brothers Pio and Donie Ryan, Dubliner Eamon O’Leary, Armagh’s Frankie McCormick, Mayo man Dessie Groarke and Blarney Star concert organizer Don Meade. JUST ADDED: banjo great Seamus Egan from the group Solas.

The banjoists will be joined by piano accordion great Jimmy Keane from the group Bohola, singer Susan McKeown, fiddler Dan Lyn, guitarists Fionn O Lochlainn and James Riley, pianist Conor McGuirk and other musical guests. This unique event will be held in the Moravian Church, a great 19th-century acoustic space at the corner of Lexington Avenue and 30th Street. Please note 8:00 p.m. start time.

It’s not the first ever. Cieran Hanrahan ran a banjo extravaganza or two in the Harcourt Hotel a few years ago featuring Himself, Gerry O’Connor, Cathal Hayden, Brian Carlan, Eamon Coyne etc. Even Barney McKenna had a slot.

It was brilliant!
Isaac Alderson made an unexpected appearance on flute with Pio and Donie…Co Meath man Peter Fitgerald was also a surprise guest…..as expected, Frankie McCormick & Conor McGuirk were great, Seamus Eagan was phenomenal, Don Meade & Eamon O’Leary were teerrifiic, too, of course.

The blast of tunes to finish the evening included 10 (or was it 11?) banjos, accordeon, piano……

BTW: unless the Harcourt Hotel mentioned above is not the one in Dublin, this concert WAS the first of its kind in the western hemisphere, as advertised.

Don’t miss the next go-’round!

The western hemisphere with a small w is every thing west of Grenwich and east of the international date line. But that’s only nit-picking.